Switching to Timecode worth it/useful?

Default Switching to Timecode worth it/useful?

Hi!

At the moment i'm using traktor pro 2 with my Reloop Mixage IE, Traktor Kontrol X1 & the Akai LPD8. Since I always have to bring my gear to places i have to play (and I don't have my own car yet), I am thinking of switching to timecode.

This way I would be able to just take my laptop and connect it to the cdjs in the club right? Because that would mean I would not have to bring my mixage anymore, just my laptop, soundcard, timecode cd's and cables. And is it possible to hook a timecode system up to most cd players/mixers in the average club without special settings on the cdj or much preparation? Also, would I still be able to use my kontrol x1 in combination with the timecode setup? I really like my X1 and it would be a waste if i would not be able to use it in my sets.

And am I right when I say that i have to buy an external mixer for at home to practice? Because I won't be able to use my reloop mixage as mixer in combination with timecode, since that is internal.
    I have searched the internet but I can't find clear answers to some of these questions.

If this setup is possible, do you have any recommendations for hardware I should buy?

Thanks in advance!

Tech Wizard

If you want to carry less equipment and use timecode CD's, why not just burn audio CD's and bring those? You will also need to get a timecode enabled soundcard like the audio 6 or 10O. If you're lucky the gigs you play at have CDJ 2000's and just could bring a rekordbox usb drive.. Plugging in your soundcard between the CDJ and mixer during a gig is always crap in my opinion.

I recently made the transition from Traktor to CD's. Not to happy with burning CD's (most gigs I play have CDJ 1000;s), but it's way better than dragging my macbook, audio interface and controller to gigs. And eventually it will save my macbook from further abuse :P

Yeah I have considered just switching to cd's, but then i would not be able to use my x1 and lpd8 anymore. Also, I would like to use timecoded vinyls at home, just for fun. With this setup I am able to use cdj's/turntables at a club and use my turntables at home while still being able to use my x1. And when I have to play somewhere else i would be able to take all necessary gear with me in my backpack. I do agree with you on having to connect my soundcard during the night, that can be quite annoying, but if done right it shouldn't be too much of a problem, had to do this with my controller too.