DVS beginner setup questions

Default DVS beginner setup questions

Hello to everyone. I am new to the forum and wanted to know if someone can help guide me to some answers. I apologize if this thread is a repeat of any others or if these questions have all been asked before.

I am new to DJing at all. I have grown up playing musical instruments, building DIY PA systems and home theater speakers. One thing I have learned through my years is that I dont like to by beginner stuff. With anything I like to spend my hard earned money on something that I will have for years instead of upgrading in 6months to 1year.

After watching countless videos from young to old on DJ's I have quite a bit of knowledge on equipment and prices but still dont know where to start. SO for me I need help in choosing a setup. I wont be buying this in 2 days because I will continue to gain more knowledge and look into peoples suggestions. SO I figure in about 3 months I will try and get everything. I am not young, 35, and have a family to take care of. So things move slow for me on purchases.

Also I have a deep passion for music. I dont plan on djing for money. I am purely doing this for my enjoyment. Also kind of why I was not worried abut sticking with CDJ's. They are in all the clubs here in Australia.

Anyways I have been looking at a few mixers and really like the Rane 56s. Could find any 57 on a quick look but 56s I can. Secondly I also liked the Allen and Heath Zone 23c(I believe), Vestax PMC-05ProIV and the Reloop RMX40. I dont tend to go with the norm and never really wanted to get a Pioneer.

I really liked the quality of the Rane and A&H. I have seen the other mixers on youtube being used in mixes so clearly they can be used. I have only seen the Rane and A&H in person.

I plan on using Serato Dj if that helps anyone.

SO the next question is what turntables should I start off with. I know for me I would like to get a pair of Stanton 150's. But all honesty I would only be able to afford one of those for a while. Although with the software maybe that will be good enough.

There are the AT 120 also but I dont know the build quality of those and just dont want to worry about them. SO I am asking everyone here.

Thanks to anyone who can help me or make some suggestions. I know the stuff I am wanting is not usually a beginners setup but I rather spend money once. So that is why most of my budget is going into the higher grade mixer.

Thanks

Tech Guru

These are the Serato DJ compatible mixers. If you don't pick one, you'll need to buy an SL box too to use timecode.

http://serato.com/dj/hardware/mixers

There is no point taking the Xone 23c over the 23 since the sound card is useless for Serato.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Ya I saw that and that is also why I started looking at the Rane 61. I was thinking 56s would be as high as I could go for mixer prices but didn't realize I also needed the SL2/3/4. SO add that in and we are close to or the same price as the 61. And 61 appears to be the cheapest mixer compared to the Pioneer.

Any suggestion on a TT?

Tech Convert

despite the price, AT 120's are a nice quality build. I've had a pair + a xone 22 (also very robust) for about 5-6 months but I've only played about 5 sets out. they've been driven around in the back of my car a fair bit without any protective efforts - car rides are notorious for snapping tonearms and various other things - they survived though in perfect working order and no loss of quality or connection problems (as far as I know right now).

the 120s are obv not as solid as original (all-metal) 1200s but they have more useful controls such as switchable +-10/+-20% quartz pitch control as opposed to the digital +-8/16% pitch control on the 1210mk5 (I think???). most of the 1200s just have +-8%. the extra range may seem gimmicky but I like to play some of my records a fair bit faster than usual - the old disco edits and stuff - so I use the extra range a lot. pitch faders are also very solid and have a nice-feeling resistance as opposed to some numark TTs (in the same price range) I played on that have no resistance on the pitch fader and are hence fidgety in comparison.
    carts-wise, I'm actually still using the AT 95e stock carts which do skip a lot as they're not DJ minded carts, but they sound okay - I like the sound stage with house music and mid-low end. a pair of m44g's will be my next purchase.

also you can buy a new pair of 120's for the same as a single clapped out 1200 these days. they are seriously good value and, as far as I'm concerned, the best choice on the market in that price range. I got the first one for about 300 and the second for about 370 AUD.

in summary don't underestimate the 120s - they are a great choice and, coming from my somewhat limited experience on other gear, the best of the entry-levels.