Using Traktor Z1 in Ableton

Default Using Traktor Z1 in Ableton

Hi all!
    I had a question regarding using Traktor Z1 in Ableton. I know that you can use the Traktor Z1 as a MIDI interface in Ableton. However, I am interested in using the Z1 to DJ in Ableton and be able to cue audio from 2 separate audio tracks just like you would in Traktor from 2 separate decks. Thus far I've been able to route the audio output through the Z1 to my speakers but cannot figure out how to cue audio from Ableton in my headphones using the Z1 headphones cue. Is this possible? If so, I would greatly appreciate some guidance about how to set this up in the preferences etc.
    Thanks!
    Yoni

Tech Wizard

Hey,

this should be a quick fix.
    In Live 9 (and 8 I think) go into session view.
    From the "view" menu, select "in/out".
    At the very bottom right of your screen click the little triangle to collapse the clip window and give you a full view of the channels.
    Look at the master channel (far right)
    You'll see "cue out" and "master out"
    Choose 3/4 for cue out and 1/2 for master out.

That's your audio routing done. I haven't got my multichannel sound card plugged in at the moment so I can't check the next step, but I think you get a small headphones button on each channel, which you click to monitor the channel. I'm guessing you can midi assign this.

As an extra tip, use "re-pitch" warp mode for your tunes in Ableton. If you use Complex or Pro you'll introduce loads of extra dynamic range (about 6db). To avoid clipping on the way out through your sound card, you'll need to turn the channels down by 6dB to compensate, so then your tunes are suddenly a lot quieter (lower rms level). Re-pitch is the way to go!

Good luck.