Stacking XDJ-R1s
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Stacking XDJ-R1s

Hey guys,

I own one XDJ-R1 and currently thinking about buying a second one for four decks (with rekordbox). Seems like the cheapest option two me (compared to a decent mixer and four cdjs 350 or even 850). Also I am very happy with the unit.

So what I plan to do is: Use the AUX in on one of the R1s to get the audio from the other and just leave the AUX level on full. That way I already can use four channels with all the controls.
    The only minor problem I know is about the Headphones, but I think attaching the headphone outs of both XDJ-R1s to a small mixer (like Behringer XENYX 502) would do the job.

My question: Is this a good idea? Am I missing something?

Tech Mentor

60 Views, 0 Comments. Does that mean you have no idea or did I not explain everything good enough?

i imagine working on two mixers at the same time as a pain in the ass.
    the headphones can be solved by a cheap splitter cable

Tech Mentor

Thanks for your reply! The headphones is not my biggest concern since even a mini-mixer would only cost a few bucks. When googleing that thing I found that a splitter cable solution might damage the headphone outputs, or cause a high loss of output volume. Anyways that should not be the big problem here as long as everything else works.

Your opinion on the mixer is more interesting. Why do you think it is that bad? Because the cross-fader is limited? I think I could deal with that since I rarely ever use it and mostly stick to channel faders. Are there other things you thought of? Do you think it could be a bad idea to have the mixer splitted? I was hoping to build a stand so that one unit would sit behind the other. That way I would still have the mixer in the middle and everything pretty close.

What about the Main Out (on one unit) to AUX in (on the other)? That should work, right?

Thanks for your help again!

forget about the sound problems what about the space?

if you really want to do this,just buy a cheap audio mixer and feed the 2 main outs in to the mixer then the mixer to your speakers/amp

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    forget about the sound problems what about the space?
    Well I'm a student with a small flat, but therefore I don't have to worry about sharing it. Legit point, but comparing the size of 2 XDJ-R1 with 4 CDJs and a Mixer you end up with pretty much the same. Also there is a huge difference in price between these two solutions, so I guess I have to deal with it stealing some space in my tiny room.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    if you really want to do this,just buy a cheap audio mixer and feed the 2 main outs in to the mixer then the mixer to your speakers/amp
    I see this is an option as well, but what is the advantage over routing one output into the AUX IN of the other unit?

Tech Convert

get a 4 channel controller, problem solved

Tech Mentor

I'd suggest the SX with a decent (600-700$) laptop. Still cheaper than 2 R1's and a lot easier to transport.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    Well I'm a student with a small flat, but therefore I don't have to worry about sharing it. Legit point, but comparing the size of 2 XDJ-R1 with 4 CDJs and a Mixer you end up with pretty much the same. Also there is a huge difference in price between these two solutions, so I guess I have to deal with it stealing some space in my tiny room.
    Unless you're carl cox or mixing techno or something, there is no point in mixing 4 Decks for you right now. Sell your XDJ, buy yourself some proper club equipment or a DDJ SX and get some bookings first. Or if you wanna mix techno Richie hawtin style you can get a Mixer and 2 Traktor X1's, or the aforementioned DDJ SX both of which are affordable and make a lot more sense than having 2 XDJs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    Unless you're carl cox or mixing techno or something, there is no point in mixing 4 Decks for you right now. Sell your XDJ, buy yourself some proper club equipment or a DDJ SX and get some bookings first. Or if you wanna mix techno Richie hawtin style you can get a Mixer and 2 Traktor X1's, or the aforementioned DDJ SX both of which are affordable and make a lot more sense than having 2 XDJs
    Well there are several reasons why I want to have four decks:

1) I like to have more than two decks for mixing tech house (yes, like carl cox, but 2.0 ;-) )
    2) I prefer using reals decks even for samples, because you can switch them more easily and use hot cues for having more than one sample per track
    3) Switching to controllers is not an option for me at me moment since I enjoy myself a lot more when not looking at the screen, but focusing more on the music

What makes you think that the XDJ is not proper equipment for practice playing on clubs CDJs? There is not too much of a difference between them and the "real" CDJs. Why do people hate or at least underestimate the XDJ-R1 that much? Also keep in mind that you get a used XDJ-R1 for 500€. For a used CDJ 850 you pay just as much, 650 € for something like a DJM 750. That makes 1000€ vs 2650€ for a four deck setup with the CD setup not even offering things like HotCues (therefore manual looping and longer pitch faders).
    Last edited by tilldrop; 03-31-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast