What gear do I get for dance music?

Default What gear do I get for dance music?

Two years ago I got some DJ equipment for christmas. I currently have a two channel behringer mixer with traktor pro 2 on my macbook. I use traktor audio 2 as my soundcard. I also have a traktor kontrol f1 for sound effects or to use for the remix decks. I really want to take my skills to the next level and I'm interested in mixing dance music. I still want to be able to DJ all other genres for community events and parties. All of the professional dance DJs and producers like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Hardwell, and Yellow Claw use CDJs and a big mixer. I was looking into getting a traktor kontrol s4 but I don't know if that would be good for dance music. Any information will help. Thank you!

Anything works for dance music. You don't need any new equipment. Focus on different mixing styles, as dance music is mixed differently from other styles. However, if you do want to upgrade, an S4 is a good choice.

Tech Wizard

With ^. In the techno scene you see almost every possible setup, CDJ (2, 3 or 4), Traktor X1 F1, Traktor 2* X1's, Traktor with Maschine and Ableton, Vinyl, DVS..

It basically depends on your style and preference. Doesn't really matter, all setups will get the job done.

Tech Wizard

Honestly anything can work, I think you should learn to DJ on turntables and CDJs first so you can learn how to beatmatch fully. I started using a controller, after awhile I realized that you need to keep away from laptops in order for your ears to become trained. DJ'ing House is really fun, but its even more fun when you can do it while in front of hundreds at a club/festival and actually seeing people dance/react to the music. Controllers limit you a lot because you're looking at the waveform in front of you, some CDJs have it too, so I'd recommend the CDJ 850s or even the 400s so you keep away from the waveform and focus more on the music. If you do turntables then I'd go with some technics 1200