Hotcue type led mapping for Kontrol F1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Hotcue type led mapping for Kontrol F1

Has anyone here had any success with mapping multicolored hotcue types on the F1?

I know that this is most likely possible in HSB mode, but the 18 or so output mappings per button would drive me mad. Besides that, I am also trying to accomplish this in user map mode. By mapping in the user map mode I have been able to create 8 individual "pages" as well as a browser page, all with separate led outs. My only limitation with this, is that I only have one free modifier per mapping; the other one will always be used to determine page, shift or browse modes. I have also created a unique method for the shift function, that allows an individual shift key for each page, while using only one modifier per mapping (can explain more if anyone cares to hear).

From my understanding the procedure for one button would go something like:

add out> track deck> cue> hotcue 1 type

This hotcue 1 type would then be duplicated 5 more times each having the following modifier and controller range parameters:

no hotcue: hotcue 1 state deck A = - , -1,-1 (invert box checked so led is off)
    cue: hotcue 1 state deck A = cue , 0,0
    fade in: hotcue 1 state deck A = fade in , 1,1
    fade out: hotcue 1 state deck A = fade out , 2,2
    load: hotcue 1 state deck A = load , 3,3
    grid: hotcue 1 state deck A = grid , 4,4
    loop: hotcue 1 state deck A = loop , 5,5

Perhaps I have missed something simple, but I seen very little documentation on mapping in user mode so this very well could be the case. On the other hand it is possible that this concept will not work at all in user mode. I have found that mapping controls in unconventional manners is often not possible (such as mapping a fader to play when it hits full value). Another related flaw that may affect this is the fact that led outs don't turn off when switching between modifiers. They continue to stay lit until a new output signal is received. This may be because I do not fully understand the send monitor state mapping, which I have yet implement in any mapping.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, for this is a major roadblock in my completion of a 4 deck mixer mapping that I intend to have nearly every control mapped out.

Tech Wizard

Default Update:

I just found this on the NI forum. I believe it confirms my method of mapping, but is specific to the maschine MK-II (as well as most other RGB type controllers I assume)
    LEDout.jpg

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

You tried this in a new generic midi to be sure that other commands don't conflict each other? - though you seem to now your mapping

Can't test with NI gear to assist this, but I'm using the same concept of hotcue modifiers for my custom mappings which works properly with all of my RBG controllers that properly refresh the output messages.

Perhaps someone with an F1 can help out?

PS. The shift button in each of the states sounds like inverting button trick...

Tech Wizard

Yeah, this is certainly something that is specific to the F1 since user mode operates on HID.

Never heard of this "inverting button trick" but having read many of your posts I figure it's something you created.

My technique has the shift button send a specific modifier state depending on the state of the "page" modifier.
    So on page 1 (M1=1) shift would be M2=1, when M1=2 shift then is M2=2.

I would love to here more about your shift mapping trick though.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

example would be my CNTRL:R mapping with 15 pages of the control.

M1=1 | M1=2 | M1= 3 | M1= 4 | M1= 5 | M1= 6 | M2= 1 | M2= 2
    M2= 3 | M2= 4 | M2= 5 | M2= 6 | M3= 1 | M3= 2 | M3= 3

note: each other modifier # is setting a previous mod to zero.

See how the value 7 is omitted in first two mods. This way I can select the mod (state) and use first or the second press to hold the shift button which recalls the current modifier value that happens by inverting button options. Same concept is with M3 except for the shift value is 4.

It's little more complex workaround but requires only one modifier as a base.

The invert button option was added somewhere in Traktor DJ Studio 3 but only since recently you didn't have an option for this in modifiers and the mapping would require changing an interaction settings to do the trick at the end. I have actually learned this when I was experimenting with a supercombo mappings.

Please share your mapping in the Maps once you get all to work. I'll be down to give it a whirl when I buy F1.

Tech Wizard

Ahh of course, I've experimented with that before. I believe I came up with something similar to do the page mappings for this project now that I think of it. I originally tried doing that with modifier 1 on the endless encoder. I wanted to make it so when 0 was reached the next step would be 7 and vice versa, allowing you to scroll endlessly through pages in either direction. As far as my experimenting went I found it to be impossible to do that. I settled with only having 7 jump back to zero, later to realize this has the advantage of being able to blindly spin the encoder to the left and always having it stop once zero is reached (which also happens to be the "transport page").

The funny part is that I happened discover all this simply because I couldn't figure out any other way to get the 7 segment display to show the page number. thus leading me to the multi state shift trick as I suppose I'll call it.

As far as my planing has come to date, I still have 3 open pages that I had planed on filling with effect presets. I'll keep 'em free for ya, as I'm sure you'll find better use for them.

And if I have yet to pique your interest, I also have a secondary browse mode that sorts by song key (color coded, of course)!

Tech Mentor

I have an F1 and the standard MIDI mode mapping that came with it has exactly the same thing you're looking for. Have you looked at it?

Tech Wizard

Yes, I briefly messed around with the standard midi mode. The multi colored pads are integral for this mapping though, and the only way this is achieved is by setting the pads to HSB mode. To map led outputs in HSB it requires 3 individual mappings per color, I would guess I have around 80 different colors. Multiply that by 3 and you have more mappings than I care to deal with.

Perhaps your talking about the standard user mode, which is not actually midi. I haven't really used that very much, and deleted it in exchange for my custom user map. You do have a good point though, I will have to load it again and if it does have color outs specifing cue type I will be able to see exactly how NI mapped it.

Thanks a ton scalage this is my best lead so far.

Tech Mentor

Sorry I meant user mode. In this mapping it's not in hsb mode at all. Check the color for a grid hotcue, it's lightblue instead of white (it's not actually called lightblue, but I'm a guy so I'm only aware of 10 different colors ). Check it out, you can map it directly to the color you want. It's not a generic midi device in this mode. Hotcue 1 type for deck A is mapped to pad.1 blue for a controller range of zero for instance.

Tech Wizard

Do you know if the colors change per cue point type? Im looking up the manual as we speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast