IOS MIDI over Lightning Cable?

Default IOS MIDI over Lightning Cable?

I've been using an Ipad with Lemur on it for a while now, and have been jailbreaking for some time, mostly in order to install a tethering app in order to get a direct MIDI connection over the 30 pin connector (1st Ipad), and most recently, my Ipad Air. Last night, after fiddling around with a few things, I noticed that even with the tethering program disabled I was still able to transmit MIDI over a direct, wired connection via Lemur - Traktor was picking it up fine. I was on 7.0.4, so I then took a chance of losing this capability and updated my Ipad to 7.1, and it still worked fine! Finally!!!

I tested the MIDI functionality with a Lightning Cable, a 30-pin cable with a Lightning Adapter, and a CCK - all worked perfectly - this makes me exceptionally happy to not have to hack the functionality into my Ipad anymore. Not sure of Windows currently as I'm on Mac and was able to get this set up directly through Audio/MIDI Connect, which is how I have set up this connection when I use it.

Has anyone else noticed this yet, if you are using an IOS device as a MIDI controller?
    Current Gear: TSP, Macbook Pro, VCI-400, Ipad: Lemur, TDJ, Audio2, V-Moda M-100

Formerly Owned Gear (Feel free to ask opinions): Technics 1200, DJM-600, Midi Fighter Classic, Korg Zero4, Denon DN-X1600, Denon DN-MC6000, V-Moda Crossfade LP, ATH-M50

care to share the steps taken to achieve this? I've been trying to do this since i got my first ipad years ago.

Tech Mentor

WT actual F!

It works...

On my iPad 2, 7.0.6 (jailbroken but with MyWi disabled) AND my iphone 5S, 7.1 (not jailbroken) I can connect network midi via audio midi setup, over 30 pin and lightning, and it works!

Bruiser, what the hell have you discovered?

I just googled it, there's no sign that this is public knowledge... Madness!

Tech Mentor

Wait... Doh

I still had wifi on, all devices were on the same network...

In airplane mode, I'm not getting any connection.

Tech Wizard

I use Lemur with Traktor via an iConnectMIDI2+:

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

(Was $85 or so at Guitar Center locally).

Works great plug and play, no worries about wifi dropouts or other weirdness...

Same here - I just tested everything with the wifi off and on, and came to the same conclusion. I didn't realize that the MIDI is directly transferred via wifi, even without a dedicated client on the Mac.

Bummer.

Formerly Owned Gear (Feel free to ask opinions): Technics 1200, DJM-600, Midi Fighter Classic, Korg Zero4, Denon DN-X1600, Denon DN-MC6000, V-Moda Crossfade LP, ATH-M50

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser Smith View Post
    Same here - I just tested everything with the wifi off and on, and came to the same conclusion. I didn't realize that the MIDI is directly transferred via wifi, even without a dedicated client on the Mac.

Bummer.
    That's still kinda cool though; i didn't realise that was possible myself until I did the Midi Designer review for DJTT.

I need to stick with jailbroken 7.0.6 anyway, for screen recording, but MyWi remains a nice useful bonus feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    I need to stick with jailbroken 7.0.6 anyway, for screen recording, but MyWi remains a nice useful bonus feature.
    I agree - MyWi was basically the only reason that I was jailbroken (since my 1st Gen), but the regular crashing on 7.0.4 was killing me. I went ahead and ordered one of these guys and hopefully that should work ok. It just drives me a little nuts to know that MIDI over direct USB is possible, but Apple hasn't yet opened up the functionality (and might never).