Recommend me a controller...

Default Recommend me a controller...

I sold my Traktor Kontrol S4 a few months back due to lack of use. I think it was a mixture of the controller and Traktor being a bit too overwhelming for me to dedicate time to it. Therefore, I am now looking for a much simpler, more streamlined setup.

I want controller that I can mix live with, something I could play at venues with ideally. However, I want something cheap just in case I don't get on with it again. Having looked at Serato vs Traktor, I think I am leaning more towards Serato due to it looking more basic, straightforward yet still having everything to mix wewll live.

Ideally I want 4 channels, but 2 will do just fine and some effects control is desirable too. In terms of jog wheels, I am a bit of a sync junkie (sorry!) but happy to use jogs if need be (I came from vinyl World so it is not down to inability to mix).

Anyway, recommend me a controller that fits the above and the cheaper the better. I tend to prefer to mix house and electro house music, maybe with some kooky ones in there or mashups (think the kind of music and stuff the likes of Knife Party, 2 Many DJs, Thomas Bangalter etc mix).
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Mentor

There is no controller that has a four channels, club sound quality and is cheap. The DDJ-S line is a good point to start from though. Just compare the four units and choose whichever you feel is the best for you. Than I'd recommend buying it used with warranty left on ebay and pay with PayPal for the insurance.

Good luck and have fun

Yeah, been looking at the bottom end Pioneer stuff. Been looking at the Pioneer DDJ-SB and the Pioneer DDJ Ergo. Ideally would like to pick up a used Ergo for cheap I think.

Any other recommendations?
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Ok, I think I have for my short list now. It will be for home DJing now, playing house, electro and big room, and eventually move on to playing live. Which of the below is best, in order from cheapest upwards:

* Pioneer DDJ-SB
    * Novation Twitch
    * Pioneer DDJ-Ergo
    * Traktor Kontrol S2
    * Pioneer DDJ-SR
    * Reloop Terminal Mix 8
    * Pioneer XDJ-R1 (out of price range possibly, but tempting due to multimedia input and RekordBox possibility in prep for club CDJs)

I ideally want 4 deck control, use Serato and some extra features but want to keep it a simple setup.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    I ideally want 4 deck control, use Serato and some extra features but want to keep it a simple setup.
    Again: Sorry, but there is no such thing.

You dropped your S4 because it was too complex and now you want a four channel controller again, because two are not enough? What do I miss? Have you tried Serato? It's different, but not that much! Even just one deck won't automix in Serato so what makes you think that this is the right thing for you?

My advice: Try some units first. Buy one or two somewhere with 30 days full refund and than see what's happening. Or just go to a local store, take your headphones and a few hours and than try what they have. I'm sure that will help you a lot more than anyone here can tell you since you do not even seem to know yourself what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by tilldrop View Post
    Again: Sorry, but there is no such thing.

You dropped your S4 because it was too complex and now you want a four channel controller again, because two are not enough? What do I miss? Have you tried Serato? It's different, but not that much! Even just one deck won't automix in Serato so what makes you think that this is the right thing for you?

My advice: Try some units first. Buy one or two somewhere with 30 days full refund and than see what's happening. Or just go to a local store, take your headphones and a few hours and than try what they have. I'm sure that will help you a lot more than anyone here can tell you since you do not even seem to know yourself what you are looking for.
    Ha, you might be right there!

I got rid of the S4 because it and Traktor had way too many features I wasn't using. I just want to have 2 decks, with the option of 4 and be able to stick to simple old school mixing with the odd creative option for looping and effects. The S4 and Traktor had way more than that which wasn't being utilised.

Essentially, I want something sturdy to do some proper mixing on without all the gimmicky bullpap that most controllers seem to bog themselves down with and obsess over. The XDJ-R1 is perfect, in that I could use CDs/SD and mix like I would on club CDJs and seems to only have the usable extra features on without the gimmicks, but is well expensive!

Tech Mentor

If the R1 is what you are looking for try to get one on ebay. I got two of them there, both used. Prices were 470€ and 550€. Both with warranty left, mint condition.

Really? That's lucky! I am in UK so we have ridiculous taxes on everything and it costs £850 odd new here and even eBay sells for about £600-700 used.

It is perfect as I would like to get RekordBox ready for playing live again as the switch from XDJ-R1 to CDJ1/2000 and DJM mixer would be seamless when taking my USB RekordBox flash drive with me. It is purely the cost of it that is too expensive though.

The S4 you had potentially only had 4 buttons (sample buttons) that you didn't use. Had jogs, loop controls and transport. Did them 4 sample buttons really confuse you so much you had to get rid of the controller? Plus you can customise Traktor so that you have a basic view of just 2 decks. Im not so sure that you really understand yourself why you got rid of your s4. I truly had everything you have asked for in your OP.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

XDJ R1 did not go over to well with me. It had so many issues I sent it back to Pioneer.
    I did get a XDJ Aero which is amazing if you want to use Rekordbox analyzed tracks.
    If you want Serato DJ then go with DDJ SR- great kit