Help with setting Ableton effects thru Xone 42 USB
    Tech Mentor

Default Help with setting Ableton effects thru Xone 42 USB

Hi,

Just today got Xone 42 mixer, which looks awesome. Im trying to setup Ableton Live effects to be used with X:FX Wet and Dry knobs on the mixer. I have routed FX send to USB in and USB out to FX Return. I have installed ASIO4ALL and find that in Ableton when I connect Xone 42 with my laptop. But Im not sure how to route ableton internally so it actually receive sounds so I can apply effects and how to route it back to mixer ?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Mentor

Anyone ?

Tech Wizard

From the top of my head, I don't have Ableton on this computer..
    1) In Ableton, select the correct audio interface & inputs/outputs in the preferences panel. I assume you are using the Xone 42 usb connection, right? And start a new project.
    2) Delete all tracks but leave a single audio track
    3) In the audio track, select 'Ext 1/2' as your input channel (Xone 42 only has 2i/o via usb right?). And 'Master' as Audio to. This will capture the audio that is send to channels 1/2 of Xone mixer, send it trough the audio track and to the master bus. The master bys in turn will send it to your audio interface. Check if the channels in the master track channel are correct, the channel numbers could be different in your setup..
    4) drop your desired effects in the track

Done!

See also: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/routing-and-i-o/
    And http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=63919

There also other options, you can use Ableton's internal sends to use multiple effect racks simultaneously. But please read the manual :-)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Thijs View Post
    From the top of my head, I don't have Ableton on this computer..
    1) In Ableton, select the correct audio interface & inputs/outputs in the preferences panel. I assume you are using the Xone 42 usb connection, right? And start a new project.
    2) Delete all tracks but leave a single audio track
    3) In the audio track, select 'Ext 1/2' as your input channel (Xone 42 only has 2i/o via usb right?). And 'Master' as Audio to. This will capture the audio that is send to channels 1/2 of Xone mixer, send it trough the audio track and to the master bus. The master bys in turn will send it to your audio interface. Check if the channels in the master track channel are correct, the channel numbers could be different in your setup..
    4) drop your desired effects in the track

Done!

See also: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/routing-and-i-o/
    And http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=63919

There also other options, you can use Ableton's internal sends to use multiple effect racks simultaneously. But please read the manual :-)
    Ok, here is the deal. I got signal inside ableton llive when I use dry/wet knobs of the mixer. But I dont have return signal. I see master out in Ableton, it sends signal however I dont have it in mixer. I tried putting USB out to channel instead of X:FX Return and no signal whatsoever.

Basically like ableton is not sending data back to mixer dunno why or how to pinpoint where the problem is. Apparently its not mixers return as its not heard even thru channels input.

Any other ideas?

Have you selected the XFX to Filter?

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Mentor

ok, I have managed to get it working when using DX instead of asio. ASIO4ALL is making problems with output apparently, but dunno how.

Problem with DX (besides latency) is that even if I put like 5% of signal to ableton, it clips enourmously so sound is very fucked up. :/

Tech Mentor

ok, made this work by disabling Windwos Audio in Win 7 services. However, there is one thing that is bugging me. Problem is when I start moving fx dry/wet to wet a lot of original signal is becoming lost and not enough effected signal comes back, so its seems like volume is getting lower.

Definitely a major problem as sound is getting crippled. Now Im not sure if its fx loop in xone 42 sucks or I just cant set levels in ableton to be stronger so it gives back more signal.

Anyone has any ideas ?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by icb View Post
    ok, made this work by disabling Windwos Audio in Win 7 services. However, there is one thing that is bugging me. Problem is when I start moving fx dry/wet to wet a lot of original signal is becoming lost and not enough effected signal comes back, so its seems like volume is getting lower.

Definitely a major problem as sound is getting crippled. Now Im not sure if its fx loop in xone 42 sucks or I just cant set levels in ableton to be stronger so it gives back more signal.

Anyone has any ideas ?
    Hm, signal is definitely weak in ableton even when fx knob is turned fully wet. Not even 50% :/

What am I missing ?