MacBook Air in DJ Booths
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MacBook Air in DJ Booths

Anyone used/using a macbook air in dj booths? Only concern for me is how light and thin they are, could be a problem with vibrations as obviously you can't have a solid state drive in them too. (i think anyway)

Any info or advice on this would be great, just looking to change my 13" late 2011 mbp which is a tad heavy these days.

Thanks

Tom

I use a 2011 MacBook Air 13" every week with no issues, and they already have an SSD in them. Yes the SSD is smaller than most people think they need but I get by easily with 256GB and one of my mates uses a 128GB version.

It forces you to streamline your music which is not a bad thing. I've got about 64GB of music, 15GB of Maschine library and 8GB of Bitwig samples as well as NI Massive ... And I've got 50+GB free and can play any gig thrown at me from mobiles (21st, weddings etc), commercial club gigs, R&B, Retro, electro house and trance.

One thing I've always liked about the 13" is that it's got the resolution of the 15" MacBook Pro so you get plenty of space for 4 Traktor decks. I'm actually considering the 11" for my next MacBook though as I'd no like to have a smaller footprint again.

Anyhow, no vibration issues or heat issues, the processor even at 1.3GHz on the latest Airs is plenty, it's about 25% more powerful than mine and I only ever hit 40% of 1 thread giving Traktor a flogging.

The only issue at the moment though is one that most USB3 MacBooks have and that's with drivers, do a bit of research first regarding the hardware you're using.
    Last edited by frankle; 04-10-2014 at 05:52 AM.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    I use a 2011 MacBook Air 13" every week with no issues, and they already have an SSD in them.
    Actually, the latest gerneration is even SSD-only.

Besides, the weight difference between a MacBook Air and a MBP doesn't make any difference regarding vibrations, since it's only a couple hundred grams.

To proof equipment from vibrations like those you experience on a party we're talking about several kilograms of weight.

Asking if you should use a MBP or MBA to be safe from any vibration-related problems during a party is like asking if you should use paper or cardboard to protect your house from a tornado...

I have a 13" 256GB 2013 version and it is perfect. Has SSDs soldered onto the motherboard. They also have rubber feet on them, which will partially absorb any vibrations.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc
    Asking if you should use a MBP or MBA to be safe from any vibration-related problems during a party is like asking if you should use paper or cardboard to protect your house from a tornado...

You just need to be careful with your gear. If you're worried about vibrations - don't put it near a speaker/sub!

Or any other sources of vibration...

To help with this, make sure you have LONG CABLES, so that you can re-locate your lappy if you need to.

Know what I'd love? A way to display Traktor's Browser on a tablet that is separate to your lappy. Then, you could put the lappy under the table (as long as there is some kind of ventilation under there), and not put your £1K machine at risk of damage...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Now there's an idea I have just had! Invent a laptop stand, at an affordable price, that utilises same idea as the Steadicam system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steadicam) for video cameras.

Theoretically, it would absorb and vibrations, knocks, shocks etc and not affect the laptop as the stand would 'auto adjust' to take the impact away from the laptop.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

great replies, thanks guys.

I wonder if there's extra feet/grips/ you can get to put on the bottom?

i never use a stand, always just put it somewhere in the booth, sometimes theres stands, sometimes not.

I would go for 256gb minimum, this mbp is 250 and thats done fine. its purely a gig computer for me anyway, and a streamlined setup of my main studio for when I'm on tour so i can still work on music.

I ALWAYS have at least TWO of these under my lappy's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cool-Ball-...item4174aef58a

For circulation more than vibration damping - but there are plenty of things you could stick underneath the cool balls for added vibration dampening.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Air-Wa...item51b1ee7025

£10 well spent. You saw it first here, folks.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Know what I'd love? A way to display Traktor's Browser on a tablet that is separate to your lappy. Then, you could put the lappy under the table (as long as there is some kind of ventilation under there), and not put your £1K machine at risk of damage...
    I do pretty much this already using an iPad and a program called Splashtop. Laptop goes under the desk, and the iPad just mirrors the whole screen to the tablet. Yes there is a slight bit of latency, but as I'm not using it to look at waveforms, purely just for browsing, it's not a problem, and it's not a massive amount of latency anyway!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

dont traktor do an app for the iPad?

it would be dope if the X1 controllers linked up with the iPad over wifi or something, no cables needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast