Twister Sequencer Encoders
    Tech Wizard

Question Twister Sequencer Encoders

Hi everyone, I've just watched the new video on the new Twister sequencer mode and i have noticed on the "home page" of the twister Ean is using the encoders on the top row to select individual clips from each remix deck's slot. Is it possible to map push encoders on my midi controller to twist to select each individual clip from the 4 displayed (not page) and to press it to launch it? Or is this the extensive firmware that is used in the Twister?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You can map and encoder to select a sample and press it to launch it, that is mappable to any device. It might take some modifier magic but it is possible.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

The top encoders row in sequencer mode is basically a superfader with 11 positions (notes). You can use a modifier set in relative mode to achieve the same goal.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for your replies, I have done quite a bit of mapping myself, but could you give me an example of which modifiers to use and how. Would I have to use 1 modifier or loads?

Depends on how many different cells you wish to trigger with one knob. For just eight samples you would need just one modifier:

Modifier 1
    type = fader
    mode = relative
    sensitivity = in between 25-30% (depends on fader resolution)

This CC should scale the modifier value 0-7 (0-127) giving you eight mappable positions in one full knob range. Note that re-importing this .tsi can sometimes issue the resolution so you'll be setting the new rotary sensitivity value again and again. Wish NI allow for this functionality in knobs.

What you can do is setting a two modifiers.

Modifier 1
    type = encoder
    mode = relative
    sensitivity = 300% (max)

This will emulate the two directional CC's

left turn gives M1=0
    right turn gives M1=7

So this concept is cool for superknob functionality. For example, I can use this modifier to activate/deactivate an effect anywhere in the knob range simply by turning left/right (0ff/On). With this modifier as a base you can add a second modifier which would be the actual preset mod and use the M1's condition to dedicate the inc/dec sell mode.

Tech Wizard

Thanks Stewe, i'll give it a go.

Ok cool. Wish you luck.

Tech Wizard

Hi again, I've tried mapping my push encoder as you said to a modifier but the 'state' shows "0" when I turn left or "7" when I turn right. Is this the issue with the sensitivity as it doesn't seem to make a difference what % it is set at. Also if I can get this to work would I have to use 8 modifiers for two remix decks and 8 encoders (8 slots)?

Hey devendiva, you should try the method one at first and lower the sensitivity bar. And yes, this would indeed require all 8 modifiers but if you also need more modifiers for some other functions then think of adding multiple mapping devices (each device adds another set of 8 mods)