So i just bought another MacBook Pro - 13" this time
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So i just bought another MacBook Pro - 13" this time

Thats right... Just bought a 13" Macbook Pro. I was using a 15" Macbook Pro, it was about 3 years old, before the new one just came out. So i was looking into getting a new one because i like the smaller 13" size for traveling etc...

So my question is, anyone else out there running Traktor on a 13"? How do you like it? Feel its too small, just right?

So far ir really like it and i always keep my computer really close while DJing, so i don't think i am going to really have to many issues with its smaller size. I don't do a whole lot of beat juggling in traktor. Just do 4 decks, looping and lots of effects stuff. I have this paired with my A&H Xone 1D.

Cheers.

Oh yeah.. i am still having trouble getting used to teh new trackpad/mouse...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Im buying a new MBP next week. Im considering a 13".
    Survived on a 12" iBook for Traktor 3 for a few years with no issues but ive got used to mu current 2007 15" MBP.

Be interested in your findings Lance.

Im also keen to know if anyone is using the Presonus Firebox with a Unibody MBP as they have a Firewire 800 port. Is the port stable unlike the tiny Beta Port.

Dont wanna hijack your thread though dude.

New Mac, exciting times mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Im buying a new MBP next week. Im considering a 13".
    Survived on a 12" iBook for Traktor 3 for a few years with no issues but ive got used to mu current 2007 15" MBP.

Be interested in your findings Lance.

Im also keen to know if anyone is using the Presonus Firebox with a Unibody MBP as they have a Firewire 800 port. Is the port stable unlike the tiny Beta Port.

Like i said i am pretty happy so far. The size seems decent to me, and I am actually Legally Blind (I have spots in my eyes from diabetes), and i am not having any issues with the screen so far. I can actually see my screen better in a club since it is dark, so i think this will not be of any issue!

As for teh Firebox... That is what i actually use as my audio interface in my studio. I can hook it up to this over the weekend to see if there are any issues with it on the MBP 13... I need to see if I can grab a cable that will step the firewire on the Presonus to a firewire 800...

Been using a 13" laptop for years, a Vaio S-360. After a series of monster Dell machines I promised myself ever to buy a laptop over 4lb (2kg) again. Big screens are cool but the machines were so heavy I kept finding myself thinking "I'll just leave this at home for this trip", until they never left the house.

I have no problem living off a 13" *widescreen* laptop. There's enough space for everything and with antialiased fonts you can still get enough info on a screen. For programming, you need an external monitor. For Traktor and Ableton Live I find it no problem.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    As for teh Firebox... That is what i actually use as my audio interface in my studio. I can hook it up to this over the weekend to see if there are any issues with it on the MBP 13... I need to see if I can grab a cable that will step the firewire on the Presonus to a firewire 800...
    Awesome. yeah theres a Belkin 400 to 800 lead available, i just hope its a good sturdy connection in the laptop.

Tech Wizard

Been rocking the 13" screen for roughly 2 years now, no real complaints. If I were big on 4 deck mixing though it would drive me nutz when it came time to browse for tracks.

I prefer lots of screen space for browsing my collection. Being able to see more tracks helps keep creative ideas flowing when you're flying by the seat of your pants.

Enjoy!
    Native Instruments Kontrol S4
    Apple Macbook (OS/X 10.5)
    Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (3MB L2 cache)
    2GB PC5300 DDR2-667

I too have been using 13" laptops for years since my old dell inspiron 8200 with Final Scratch 1.1 then serato got too beaten up for me. Then it was a 13" white core duo macbook. Now, I absolutely adore using my 13" 2.26Ghz Macbook pro. Latency on traktor pro with my Audio 8 DJ is set to 2.5ms at 24/96, and haven't had any problems with stability. However, I haven't been able to spin out anymore being stuck on a navy base, so i can't comment on club use; however, if it's like my old white macbook i should have no problems. The only 2 things i really disliked, was it's 160GB 5400rpm hard drive, and only 2GB of ram. The ram wasn't a big deal since i ordered 2x2GB from newegg for half of apple's price, but the hard drive was pathetic. mine came with a Hitachi sata 150 drive; which i thought were no longer made. Even after firmware upgrades and connecting it to a new pc the factory drive still ran at sata150. May i suggest order a decent sized 2.5" WD or Seagate 7200rpm drive or SSD.
    btw, if you do go the SSD route, I'm really loving my Corsair P128. Snow Leopard boots in about 16s and shuts down in about 2-3s; It's worth every $$$.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Quick blurb. I'm on a 15" Unibody MBP using Firebox. Having no technical issues with the Firebox using a Lacie 400 to 800 firewire flat cable. I'm even connecting a G-Tech G-Drive mini that holds my music library to the Firebox using a 400 to 400 cable and everything is powered and runs well (I'm connecting power cord to Firebox and haven't tried it without). On the physical side, the 800 jack has a snug and sturdy fit. More secure connection than both USB or 400. The Lacie cable has a little more wiggle room than the the 800 to 800 cable supplied with the G-Drive, but again, both are more snug than USB or 400.
    Last edited by misa; 10-16-2009 at 05:15 PM.

love my mac book pro 13" works fine for me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast