Noise isolating DJ headphones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Noise isolating DJ headphones

Anyone a design engineer ?
    Custom hearing plugs have been good , but I'm thinking of headphones that allow an adjustable amount of room volume through passages, in whichever side you choose . This way the perfect blend of room sound , and mixer sound can be adjusted inside the headphones , without ever having to partially remove them .
    I have tinnitus , so I'm trying to make my hearing last as long as possible.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by MoShen View Post
    Anyone a design engineer ?
    Custom hearing plugs have been good , but I'm thinking of headphones that allow an adjustable amount of room volume through passages, in whichever side you choose . This way the perfect blend of room sound , and mixer sound can be adjusted inside the headphones , without ever having to partially remove them .
    I have tinnitus , so I'm trying to make my hearing last as long as possible.
    Thats what the cue/mix is for :-S ... theres no need to hear the room if you are mixing solely in the cans.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Thats what the cue/mix is for :-S ... theres no need to hear the room if you are mixing solely in the cans.
    I could learn how to do that . I've always been a house DJ , and I learned the old school vinyl way , with the room , or booth monitor being very important. Sometimes the room is the only monitor , and its cranked up loud. My friends who learned on CDJ's , use the cans only for finding a track , but then beat match and mix using the numbers on the decks, and listen to the monitors without the cans. I've always found mixing entirely in the cans very difficult . I'd like to try it with the left can hooked to the LH deck , and the right can hooked to the RH deck. I could see that working .

I've seen some DJs use concert earplugs under their headphones, which they are then able to crank up to blend better with the room's sound.
    Current Gear: TSP, Macbook Pro, VCI-400, Ipad: Lemur, TDJ, Audio2, V-Moda M-100

Formerly Owned Gear (Feel free to ask opinions): Technics 1200, DJM-600, Midi Fighter Classic, Korg Zero4, Denon DN-X1600, Denon DN-MC6000, V-Moda Crossfade LP, ATH-M50

I'd like to try it with the left can hooked to the LH deck , and the right can hooked to the RH deck. I could see that working .
    Split Cue is the function you want - master on one ear, cue on the other

You could also use IEM's for your monitor cue and your cans being fed with the master output via a headphone amp.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Tech Mentor

+1 on split cue... some mixers allow that via a switch. That's the way I would do it, but have grown more accustomed to having just a blend between cue and program.
    As far as noise canceling headphones... I played an "L shaped" room with high ceilings last week and it had a nasty echo (my monitors were in front of me and didn't bring a booth monitor). My HD25's actually did a good job at blocking out the outside noise.

Tech Convert

Split cue is something I could set up with my 57sl.
    http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1236449 On another note , using visual waveforms and BPM displays makes it less challenging , but it probably saves the hearing .

Honestly in your situation I reckon you have 4 choices.

1. Change your mixer to one that has a split cue and buy an SL2 (if not pre-certified)
    2. Learn to DJ with cue/mix in both ears
    3. My choice > Buy decent musicians earplugs to attenuate the DJ monitor/club volume and crank your cans a bit louder to compensate in your cue ear, good ones will not muffle the sound or affect your ability to mix/hear the sound properly, just everything will be lowered in volume to a safe level.

I've never been a fan of mixing in the cans either, but thankfully my hearing hasn't suffered (yet! touch wood) -

Where it comes to Cue/Mix, its not too big a deal to teach yourself, I kinda got used to it living in a small condo unit with people on all sides BUT I do mix "more seat of your pants" and more inclined too be spontaneous with one ear off.

I find brining tracks in kinda requires a few precious seconds in that you need to get the tracks almost matched perfectly before turning the knob to mix and only then letting fading in rather than fading in track when the track is @90% matched and being able to ride the fader during the mix.

Kinda requires an extra hand on the cue/mix knob which is kinda a pain in the ass if you are manipulating filters, eq's or pitch at the same time.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Tech Convert

I will practice with the cue mix in the cans . The problem I have , is when the 1200's drift on a longer mix , i have trouble realizing which deck needs adjusting . The bass sounds so much alike on most house . its so much easier for me with a booth monitor , or similar split cue set up.

Tech Convert

By cue/ mix , do you mean the standard practice of using headphones and booth monitor combined ? I do that well , but if I switch to entirely inside the cans , I tend to lose the beats if I'm blending a longer mix. I have custom plugs with 25 and 15db filters , but I find they take away some clarity . I would like some custom plugs , that have a more direct straight passage, from the filter to the inner ear . My plugs have a tight bend that blocks some clarity . I tried describing it to the salesperson at the hearing clinic , but i would have more success dealing directly with the technician making the plugs at the lab . I need to bypass the middle man .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast