mixeffector's NI Addiction

Cool mixeffector's NI Addiction

This is my setup as it currently stands - the booth was inspired by the DJTT article on Expedit mixing desks, although with my own twist. The monitors are humble M-Audio Studiophile AV40s, cheap, with not much of a low end, but crisp and affordable... I'm not sure if my setup can handle the weight of a pair of Rokits, so I'll have to carefully test that before I go for some (I'd like to). The laptop is a cheapo Lenovo 17" with an SSD - not much to it, but it runs Traktor with all decks and effects piled up just fine, and has a nice big screen. ~$500, instant booting and 17" screen - Macbook, no thanks. It's a fully dedicated laptop - only has Traktor, Maschine and Komplete installed, nothing else. Not shown is a Korg MicroKey, the Japanese Black-on-Black 37 Key Limited Edition model, which I use with the Maschine when making music. (I set the DJ gear aside and put just the Maschine and Korg on the desk)

I'm a diehard NI addict, obviously... just learning to compose and produce with Maschine, but have been mixing for a few years on and off, pushing towards controllerism / power mixing. I prefer to pack as much choreographed talent and flow into a seamless tenminmix as possible, rather than soundtracking parties - though I do like both. Ten-ish minute routines combining mixing and controllerism are where I'm focusing and pushing myself.

It was the famous "Phenomena" video that got me into all this, and wanting the S4 more than anything - so I needed an excuse to own one, and found the art form I love. With the sale going down last month and this month, I finally got the S4, and Maschine+Komplete while I was at it. My setup has transformed just about overnight.

My old setup was a Hercules RMX and a Kontrol X1 Mk1, which combined can do most of the stuff an S4 does, making for a decent beginner rig. I am probably keeping them, so If I ever play any parties or events where I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing my beloved S4/F1s I will have a sufficiently good rig, built like a tank (the herc at least) which I wouldn't be devastated by the loss of.

Once I finish cleaning up the room, organizing the cabling, etc. I will be taking better pics from a distance, showing the whole booth properly.

Tech Wizard

Awesome setup, man. The lights look great.

Tech Student

Awesome setup man!

Tech Wizard

Good job SIR

Kontrol S4 MKII - Sennheiser HD25-1 II - Lenovo G560 - Windows 7 - AIWA NSX-VC88 - Yamaha PSR-E403
    Mixcloud - Soundcloud

Want!