Beatport Pro 2
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beatport Pro 2

Tech Convert

Default Beatport Pro 2

Hi everybody,

I hope I'm using this forum correctly; I wanted to search for any topic related to the Beatport Pro 2 for Mac but couldn't find a search box.

Anyway, I have a few questions about this new piece of software, does 'anyone' know?

* Can 'custom' tags, genres or fields also be defined by the user (otherwise the user is tied to solely use Beatport's definition of tags). For example, what might be bass for one user may be defined as deep house for another.
    * Beatport's explanation about the 'roundabout' way to integrate music into DJ software (Traktor for me) is unclear, any suggestions
    * Does it work with music that is not purchased via Beatport. Does it work with music that cannot be purchased online (music that has been converted to digital from vinyl)
    * Apple Lossless (m4a-files) are 'taggable' in iTunes, similar to that of mp3 files, is that also an option in this new Beatport software. What about other music formats such as wav, aiff, etc.
    * They say it's a free program 'now', will this always be the case. That is a question that Beatport should answer clearly otherwise what's the point of being sucked into something that's free now
    * Is a user obliged to log into Beatport to use the program? If so, then I think this is a bad thing. I would prefer not and that is an invasion of privacy. Although iTunes is a bit old hat now, one has the option to turn off the shop.

I have such a wide variety and a lot of music that archiving for me is absolutely essential; it's something I have to spend a lot of time on, therefore I hope these are not unnecessary questions.

cheers, Johnson

Tech Convert
    Sound designer.

It looks like a really decent program. All the tagging options really want to make me have a go at it.

Unfortunately it's Mac only.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Master View Post
    * Can 'custom' tags, genres or fields also be defined by the user (otherwise the user is tied to solely use Beatport's definition of tags). For example, what might be bass for one user may be defined as deep house for another.
    Absolutely. In fact, adding new tags will help us refine the tag selections.
    * Beatport's explanation about the 'roundabout' way to integrate music into DJ software (Traktor for me) is unclear, any suggestions
    Use it just like you use the iTunes library within Traktor. Point that location within the preferences of Traktor to read the file you set-up in the Export preferences of Beatport Pro.[/QUOTE]
    * Does it work with music that is not purchased via Beatport. Does it work with music that cannot be purchased online (music that has been converted to digital from vinyl)
    Absolutely.
    * Apple Lossless (m4a-files) are 'taggable' in iTunes, similar to that of mp3 files, is that also an option in this new Beatport software. What about other music formats such as wav, aiff, etc.
    At this time we support file formats and containers that can accept standard ID3 tagging.
    This includes AIFF, WAV, and MP3 at the moment.
    * They say it's a free program 'now', will this always be the case. That is a question that Beatport should answer clearly otherwise what's the point of being sucked into something that's free now
    It's free and will remain free.
    * Is a user obliged to log into Beatport to use the program? If so, then I think this is a bad thing. I would prefer not and that is an invasion of privacy. Although iTunes is a bit old hat now, one has the option to turn off the shop.
    Yep. It's free, has a bunch of features many of which are community driven. You need to Login on first run of the app, and be logged in for access to any of the community tagging functions.
    After first run you do not need to be online in order to use the app. (e.g. it will work on a plane).
    I have such a wide variety and a lot of music that archiving for me is absolutely essential; it's something I have to spend a lot of time on, therefore I hope these are not unnecessary questions.
    I with you on that.

Mac only, good. PC sucks.

Absolutely.
    Use it just like you use the iTunes library within Traktor. Point that function within the preferences of Traktor to read the file you set-up in the Export preferences of Beatport Pro.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.
    At this time it is all file formats and containers that can accept ID3 tagging. We are tagging AIFF, WAV, and MP3 at the moment.
    It's free and will remain free.
    Yep. It's free, has a bunch of features active DJs have been asking for, many of which are community driven. You need to Login on first run of the app, and be logged in for access to any of the community tagging functions.
    After first run you do not need to be online in order to use the app. (e.g. it will work on a plane).
    I'm with you on that.

Anyone know if theres any kind of artwork view like cover flow or whatever?

Or just a way of showing artwork down the side? I'd love a grid that could be sorted by date added

Has it got?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

I grabbed it and really like it with one bug exception. And it's big. The downloading is slow. I'm saying about three times slower than the old Adobe Air downloader or the website. I'm not sure what the problem is with it or whether anyone else is having the same problem or not. I haven't used it for management of "ripped" vinyl or stuff bought through other sources.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

I really like this program.

It's got the potential to be a real game changer for me. I struggle with tagging in iTunes....

Good move on Beatport's part. They're likely to see some sales increase from this.

Tech Mentor

I like the interface, filters and tagging capabilities but not sure how I can use this beyond that for my collection at this stage. Early days still so maybe it will become clear.

However, from what I can tell Traktor, Serato, Rekordbox cant read your playlists without a very manual work around that has to be done each time you update anything. This involves exporting your library and then pointing your DJ software to that library. Once done it reads BP2 and not your iTunes library.

I can import my iTunes library and modify it but that doesnt sync back with iTunes. If I make or add music to iTunes and want to add that to BP2 do I have to do that manually? If I import my iTunes library again what happens to my amended BP2 playlists.

So, it seems to me that if I want to use BP2 I am going to have to ditch iTunes or duplicate everything manually I do in terms of playlist creation and organisation. A big commitment up front! Not sure I am ready to do that just yet. I'll be more comfortable using it when Traktor adds it to File Management so I can see the BP2 library as well as iTunes and not instead of.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast