SHURE SM58 Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default SHURE SM58 Question

I got a SHURE SM58 mic today. I bought it used of Amazon, but the thing looks new. I couldn't imagine this thing is broken.

My mixer didn't pick anything up, so I tried plugging it into my amp. Still nothing. I swapped XLR cords, both worked. Do you guys have any ideas?

Ummmmmm, am I just not getting your question? Or have you not answered it for yourself.

The first cord was bad. Right?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Ummmmmm, am I just not getting your question? Or have you not answered it for yourself.

The first cord was bad. Right?
    No, you're reading it right. I'll just call SHURE tomorrow.

Did Shure make the cord also? Was it new?

Tech Wizard

Did Shure make the cord also? Was it new?
    Standard XLR. I tried two out of my master on the mixer and they were both good. The connection to the mic was good from what I could tell too, and the wires are soldered correctly in the mic.

Ok you had me confused with your first post. I thought you tried a second cord with the mic and it worked, but I see now you tried the cords with your speakers and they worked fine.

What were the terms on Amazon for the used mic? Was it "as is no returns", or "30 day return"?

Tech Wizard

Ok you had me confused with your first post. I thought you tried a second cord with the mic and it worked, but I see now you tried the cords with your speakers and they worked fine.

What were the terms on Amazon for the used mic? Was it "as is no returns", or "30 day return"?
    They offered a 30 day return policy, but I would have to pay the shipping and I cannot swap the item.

Tech Guru

Ok, what mixer are you using? Were you definitely plugged into a mic socket? Some mixers have pad buttons, if yours does, this could be in place, meaning the preamp is getting -70db rather than the -40/50db its expecting...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    Ok, what mixer are you using? Were you definitely plugged into a mic socket? Some mixers have pad buttons, if yours does, this could be in place, meaning the preamp is getting -70db rather than the -40/50db its expecting...
    Its a DJM, and I cranked it to the roof to be sure this was not the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast