Any idea what is in the pipeline for Traktor? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Always nice to see so many totally clueless people speculating....

Soooo, here's my guess:

It's not gonna be a major software upgrade like others suggested, it's not gonna be a replacement for any of the existing hardware pieces.

It's gonna be ....

... an all-in-one hardware solution. And by all in one I mean you won't need a laptop to use it.

Tech Guru

I mean at this point we're always clueless, and fair enough we can use past moves to guess future moves, but how could we have predicted something like the remix decks? This is the kind of crazy that NI makes the dollar with, and I'd love to see more.

Integrated hardware/software would be a massive step. That's akin to going toe-to-toe with the CDJs, which I just don't think NI have the weight to punch with right now.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    That's akin to going toe-to-toe with the CDJs, which I just don't think NI have the weight to punch with right now.
    But everything else doesn't make sense, imho.

NI are well positioned in the controller market with the S2 and S4. The choice between different controllers is mostly down to personal preferences, and I don't know how much sense it would make to cater to every possible need out there...

Another thing would be a true multi-platform controller, one that supports Traktor, Serator DJ, including timecode capability for both platforms as well as Rekordbox. Which is just not going to happen, maybe if a 4th party manufacturer was to build it, but I guess the license fees were to put it somewhere in the five figures price range...

Right now, Pioneer is at least one step ahead of NI with their CDJ/Rekordbox approach. First of all it's just so much easier to use. Simply carrying some USB sticks instead of a controller and/or a soundcard, some cables, a laptop and having to plug/unplug your gear to the house system is like a modern cell phone compared to one of those 20+ kg first generation "mobile" phones.

Plus, even though there's a couple of "big name DJs" who use Traktor, CDJs are the unrivaled standard in clubs. It's like wherever you go, there's going to be CDJs. If you want to bring a controller you better hope there's room somewhere in the booth, and the in-house sound guy doesn't mind you plugging your stuff into the sound system.

So if NI wants a chance at becoming some kind of club standard, they need to come up with some kind of stand-alone, no-computer-needed solution.

An all-in-one controller that doesn't need a laptop would be a good start, even though I think the final step would need to be a stand-alone player with a built in soundcard, just like a CDJ without the actual CD drive and Traktor instead of Rekordbox. Maybe even with built in EFX.

How can NI ever make anything that will become the club standard ? Way too many people use serato or physical media.

Tech Guru

The new Akai MPC with embedded windows is a. RE example I wouldn't have thought would come about. Looks like windows wants to push the boundaries, I can't see Apple/Mac doing this.

Tech Guru

Windows is trying to regain footing in a market that it ignored for too long and lost to Apple. Great idea though,and NI may well make use of it but it's still early days on that front.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12