Gemini G2V and G4V
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Gemini G2V and G4V

What are people's thoughts on these?

I am looking for a cheaper end controller just to mess about with at home, maybe use at a venue in time before I upgrade. Just stumbled across these and got instantly curious as I always avoided Gemini as budget, rubbish stuff but these seem quite solidly built and lots of bang for buck in terms of features too.

Any thoughts?

PS - on the G2V two channel version, what do the "1" and "2" bottom on the bottom, cross fader side of each deck do? Are they to switch to use 4 decks (Imassume could be mapped for this in Traktor?) or to assign FX banks to use on those decks (or something else), or to (pointlessly) assign decks to channel 1/2 on the mixer?

Last edited by MartinVasa; 04-20-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Tech Wizard

Anyone?

Tech Wizard

Nobody got any comment on these controllers?

Don't if that is a good or bad thing

I had a G2V for a brief period of time. The numbers at the bottom near the crossfader is for crossfader assign.

The reason I say 'brief period of time' is due to having returned it because of problems that arose. The chassis itself is very solid and the entire unit has some weight to it, but the rest is a different story. In my experience, the Cue buttons eventually stopped working so I had to remap it to the Cup button to even use them. Before then I push Cue and it would sometimes input that I did a Shift + Effects command instead of actually Cueing. The jog wheel would also stick. Pushing it down to scratch/scrub through a track would work, but upon letting go it would stay stuck that way until I pushed down on it again.

All in all it has a great amount of functionality for the price, but you can still see the corners they cut to bring it down to that price.

Tech Wizard

Surely somebody has to have some experience or knowledge of these controllers?!

Been holding off buying one for almost 2 weeks now waiting for user opinions etc.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MartinVasa View Post
    Surely somebody has to have some experience or knowledge of these controllers?!

Been holding off buying one for almost 2 weeks now waiting for user opinions etc.
    Kind of funny you are debating about getting this controller to use with traktor. There is a good video review I will post here when I get home about the g4v. For 399 a 4 channel mixer with performance pads and actual 4 readable line meters is unheard of. I am more then likely going to purchase this because right now 4 channel mixers for traktor cost at least twice as much. There is actually a traktor g4v mapping on here that I heard works well. If I get it before you I will let you know my findings and if you get it sooner if you could do the same I would appreciate it.

It looks pretty good, actually. Worth a punt for the money for sure.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

It looks pretty good, actually. Worth a punt for the money for sure.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Indeed! I think it looks good. However, seen another couple of teasing options too and looking for recommendations. Ideally want to spend as little as possible but trug to decide between:

* Numark Mixtrack Quad (£130 used)
    * Novation Twitch (£160 used)
    * Pioneer DDJ Ergo (£170 used)
    * Pioneer DDJ SB (£200 new)
    * Gemini G2V (£235 new)
    * Gemini G4V (£300 new)
    * Numark NS6 (£320 used)

Which of these is best for a beginner to learn the skills needed to be able to jump obto any DJ setup and also hoping to eventually play smaller bars etc (guy who plays the bar on Friday nights currently uses Mixtrack Pro 2).

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MartinVasa View Post
    Indeed! I think it looks good. However, seen another couple of teasing options too and looking for recommendations. Ideally want to spend as little as possible but trug to decide between:

* Numark Mixtrack Quad (£130 used)
    * Novation Twitch (£160 used)
    * Pioneer DDJ Ergo (£170 used)
    * Pioneer DDJ SB (£200 new)
    * Gemini G2V (£235 new)
    * Gemini G4V (£300 new)
    * Numark NS6 (£320 used)

Which of these is best for a beginner to learn the skills needed to be able to jump obto any DJ setup and also hoping to eventually play smaller bars etc (guy who plays the bar on Friday nights currently uses Mixtrack Pro 2).
    Well a lot depends on your dj software of choice. I personally prefer tractor there is just a lot more you can do with it musically. The ns6 is a serato controller imo outdated for a serato controller because no performance pads. And again I prefer traktor. The twitch has no jog wheels I think it's important to learn at least the concept of what you can do with the jog wheels when starting out especially. The pioneer ddj so is another serato controller but I am pretty sure it's plastic construction hence the cheap price. Numark mixtrack Quad to me looks like a toy. I do not like the build quality plus I am pretty sure altho it has drum pads they don't work the same as like the g4v and g2v. The g4v is probably my favorite put of those because it's metal build. The actual performance pads. And the individual line meters. It's just not common at all in a controller of this cost. These are just my opinions obviously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast