S4 vs VCI 400

Thread: S4 vs VCI 400

Default S4 vs VCI 400

Just bought an s4 and its fun and all that but the thing that's putting me off is the pitch faders . Is it a wise move to sell it and get a vci 400? Bearing in mind i want to stay with the traktor software.
    S4+3D=FUN

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

With a little mapping work you can create a workaround to get that ultrafine .01 BPM increments via the shift button.

Shift button: M1=1 (hold mode)

Tempo fader M1=0 (direct fader)
    Tempo fader M1=1 (relative fader) - brings up the rotary sensitivity bar

So by holding the shift button down you'll be presetting a Tempo Adjust command in to the relative mode.

I have just downloaded the djtt mapping so will give that a go over the coming weeks. Thanks but I wouldn't know where to even start with creating a map, do you just edit the .tsi? How do you edit them? Like what app?
    S4+3D=FUN

Tech Wizard

You can load the tsi, go into Traktor's setting (where you choose tsi, audio output etc) and in there there will be an option to edit the mapping and you can edit your own tweaks. Can be confusing and laborious though, especially if you don't know what you are looking for etc.

Think I will do some midi mapping research before I start messing with it haha!
    S4+3D=FUN

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xander1 View Post
    Think I will do some midi mapping research before I start messing with it haha!
    Definitely recommended!

What I tend to do is find a mapping I mostly like (such as DJTT mapping or ones from Traktor Bible site) and then tweak that to accommodate my 'isms' rather than start a mapping afresh. Need to be careful though as some midi controls may be linked/dependant on others which might mess things up if you don't change them all.