Looking to get back into dj'ing again - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Theres + and - with both, can't use HID mode with traktor on the 350's
    Cant use Rekordbox in the 400's

The 350's are better overall in terms of file types, load times, but their connectivity lets them down - however this in the fault of NI and not Pioneer I'm guessing.
    Yup, that's why I mentioned earlier that he should find out what he really wants and needs. Does he want to use traktor? Does he want to use rekordbox? Does he need hot cues? Does he want to use USBs or burn CDs? Does he have a budget limit? Is he a scratch DJ? ...Important info to know.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    Yup, that's why I mentioned earlier that he should find out what he really wants and needs. Does he want to use traktor? Does he want to use rekordbox? Does he need hot cues? Does he want to use USBs or burn CDs? Does he have a budget limit? Is he a scratch DJ? ...Important info to know.
    Well this is disappointing. I had responded a few days back with a well rounded response. Since the account is new it must be approved by the moderator. I'm sure it was approved but it never posted to the forum unfortunately.

I'm going to try to re-hash what I wrote from memory, albeit a few days late.

When I had my CDJ-400's and DJM-400 I used them with CD's mostly then picked up a few USB sticks and put some high quality bitrate mp3's on them and started working with that. I tried wav but these players were not designed to play that and/or Pioneer decided not to offer that functionality.

Eventually I figured out that I could use Traktor with them but I failed to really see much benefit as the platters were laggy and any type of manipulation/scratching was always wonky. I did like the fact that I could see a wavform for buildups and drops, the effects I had to use with the mouse and got fiddly and eventually I just unplugged the laptop and went back to the usb sticks and onboard effects on the mixer. One benefit though was being able to record my entire mix with Traktor.

I am not familiar with Rekordbox, and have only glanced at serato briefly. I only came across Traktor by way of NI when I purchased my Maschine MK2.

Seeing that I have no interest to get back into dj'ing publicly this will strictly be for my own personal use. I am not a scratch dj. Although I did keep all my PA equipment so if the occasional gig did present itself I would be prepared but I have no desire to pursue that avenue again.

I did give consideration to re-buying CDJ-400's but they can only be found here and there on ebay and other locations but the condition is spotty, sadly mine were purchased new and I have a hard time buying used gear online without seeing it first. Every time I warm up to it the price just seems to match with something newer.

As for budget, I have a track record of going above and beyond what is required or necessary. I'd like to avoid doing that with this. I'd rather not let ego take over. Just because one can doesn't mean one should. The DDJ-SZ or SX seems to pose more decisions back to me, separate units or dedicated controllers. One thing though is that I can't dedicate an entire macbook pro solely to the controller, I only have one laptop.

Again, sorry for the delay, I wished my original post had made it.

Default No idea why my replies are not making it through

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    I keep trying to reply but nothing shows up, it's out for moderation but my posts do not show up.

Removed duplicate post
    Last edited by jagaloon; 05-02-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: removed duplicate post

Now I look like a right nutter all my posts showed up at once.

I've watched videos of controllers with serato and the usage looks almost sterile when compared to footage I saw of someone using cdjs with mixer effects and a rmx-1000.

I found two cdj 400's yesterday but now I'm questioning purchasing only because of the age and inconsistent compatibility with the future.

Obviously I can't use any rmx unit with a 2 CH mixer so I'd have to re evaluate that as well.

Ignorance is bliss they say!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jagaloon View Post
    I found two cdj 400's yesterday but now I'm questioning purchasing only because of the age and inconsistent compatibility with the future.

Obviously I can't use any rmx unit with a 2 CH mixer so I'd have to re evaluate that as well.
    I have a full Traktor/DVS/controller packed setup, which is great if I want to do fancy tricks, crazy effects or make things easier for myself when I play out (easy in terms of waverform feedback, browser selection, effects to smooth out transitions - not in terms of mobility!)

But I spend most my time now with 2x CDJ 350 playing from USB sticks and a 2 channel mixer (some do have send/return so you can hook up an RMX, when I get funds this will definitely be my next toy).

It's really nice to just leave the laptop alone at home (minus updating USB sticks from rekordbox, which I do when I'm on trains or waiting places) even though my mixes probably aren't half as creative or smooth.

I was deciding between 350s or 400s, had a play on both, and decided Rekordbox and resale value (I bought used but recently serviced) was worth it on the 350s over Traktor compatibility and effects. It's basic, but it performs well with what it does (minus the loop divide, that function is weird).

Just some more food for thought!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

One thing though is that I can't dedicate an entire macbook pro solely to the controller, I only have one laptop.
    So did I, and I did everything on it for the past 5 years, production, video editing, DJ'ing, Web Development - the lot.

Just plug it in when you want a mix, plug it out when its needed for something else - simples

I honestly wouldn't let that put you off getting a controller, and if you did go that route I'd personally go all-in-one for convenience sake, go modular with controllers and you have more issues e.g. Jog wheel performance which you complained about with the 400's, so no doubt would be an issue with modular units too.

If you were planning on splashing out on the SZ though you'd probably be as well off getting CDJ 900's and a Decent Mixer with S/R and have the best of all worlds for almost the same money and a more future proof setup.

I've watched videos of controllers with serato and the usage looks almost sterile when compared to footage I saw of someone using cdjs with mixer effects and a rmx-1000.
    I'm still searching for a video that not shows the technical wizardry and use of effects, but also sounds enjoyable enough on the ears that it doesn't sound like an angry teenager with ADD clawing at my skull after 5 minutes

Happy hunting ..

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    So did I, and I did everything on it for the past 5 years, production, video editing, DJ'ing, Web Development - the lot.

Just plug it in when you want a mix, plug it out when its needed for something else - simples

I honestly wouldn't let that put you off getting a controller, and if you did go that route I'd personally go all-in-one for convenience sake, go modular with controllers and you have more issues e.g. Jog wheel performance which you complained about with the 400's, so no doubt would be an issue with modular units too.

If you were planning on splashing out on the SZ though you'd probably be as well off getting CDJ 900's and a Decent Mixer with S/R and have the best of all worlds for almost the same money and a more future proof setup.

I'm still searching for a video that not shows the technical wizardry and use of effects, but also sounds enjoyable enough on the ears that it doesn't sound like an angry teenager with ADD clawing at my skull after 5 minutes

Happy hunting ..
    My explanation of my interpretation of the cdj-400's effects and the djm-400's effects could be likened to the fact that in the videos I've seen of the cdj400's being used, there was more movement and envolvement in the mix on behalf of the dj, where the sx/sz video I saw, it seems to be more knob tweaking and slight jog nudging as the software seemed to have done all the rest. This is possibly my lack of understanding of the new gear and controllers.

Of course now when I try to find the two videos I saw last night, I can't... Have to check the history in my browser when I'm home.

I had a feeling if I made reference to the SZ that higher tier equipment would soon follow. Pioneers marketing seems to be taking effect here. The 900's have features that are missing on the SZ but the 900's or genuine seperates can still play cd's and mp3's without having to use a laptop. I'm probably just fighting change much like when cdj's came out and the majojrity opinion for some time was that vinyl was better.

The cost of the mixer is one I keep forgetting about and one that has kept me a bit grounded still.

Your right about the controller being convenient, just plug in and go rather than try to fiddle with traktor with the 400's. I'm not quite sure what makes serato or rekordbox so appealing vs just having mp3's or wav (not on my 400's) and working with that.

So right now I've found some cdj-400's for around 350 ea and the mixer well, I am still trying to find a cdj400 or possibly a 4 channel mixer and after that's all said and done I'm around 1200. If I want to add a rmx-1000 that's another 750 or so, then it get's complicated as I'm trying to blend a mix of outdated CDJ's with a older mixer and a new rmx-1000.

I think I need to get out without the mrs and get my hands on some equipment that is hooked up and working, sadly the only shop by me has displays that don't work and they can't be bothered to plug them in.

I do like the insight and help, it certainly is keeping me grounded in reality and I genuinely appreciate it!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'm not quite sure what makes serato or rekordbox so appealing vs just having mp3's or wav
    • File management / Playlists (from iTunes)
    • Multiple Cue Points
    • Track Searching
    • Album Artwork
    • Waveforms
    • Auto Loop points

Serato also has a ton of effects built into the software itself rather than needing effects to do most tasks, not to mention built in samplers etc ....

My explanation of my interpretation of the cdj-400's effects and the djm-400's effects could be likened to the fact that in the videos I've seen of the cdj400's being used, there was more movement and envolvement in the mix on behalf of the dj
    Its true, you can automate a hell of a lot in software, but likewise you can disable all the automatic functions like sync and beatmatch manually as you always would have if you so choose and just use the setup as a regular 2x CDJ and mixer setup.

I appreciate all the insight shared. Ultimately it boils down to what I want to do as many of you have said.

I genuinely miss my gear, but I want to make sure that I'm not going through some gear nostalgia faze and if I re-purchase my old gear, what's to say I won't get the itch to eventually go to a controller entirely. It seems that that's the way things are headed now as everyone uses mp3's and wav's on a usb stick rather than cd's now. Seems like a waste now that I think more about it.

I have a feeling I'll keep going round and round on this till I loose my mind or my wife throws me out from obsessing over making a decision

So basically to keep it simple I'm either going to re-purchase cdj-400's and a djm-400, get back into it and be happy or regret and say "I should have gotten a controller and moved forward". lol Controller being a DDJ-SX or DDJ-SZ.

In any case I'm thankful for the input I got from the community here!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast