Looking to get back into dj'ing again
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Looking to get back into dj'ing again

Hey all,

Quite a few years ago I had a set of CDJ-400's and a DJM-400. I had purchased these because I had a deep desire to have a personal DJ setup mostly for my own enjoyment as I had worked for years at a private company as a mobile DJ working with vinyl and CD's and really enjoyed it. I figured it would give me an outlet to relax after I got home from work, and it did exactly that, I had a blast.

Eventually I got interested in trying to produce my own music using Maschine MK2 and a synth and a DAW. My basis for getting into producing was that I think I was getting tired of fiddling with other peoples music and wanted to make my own. Producing had a very steep learning curve and while I like it, it seemed to bring on more stress than enjoyment.

I did not have enough time to produce and DJ so I opted to sell my DJ equipment. My wife had said I'd be sorry and now here I am, very very sorry indeed.

The point of this post is that I've been out of it for so long that I am confused as all getout with the different choices available today, I don't know what I should get or what would be overkill. CDJ's or a controller? If CDJ's which model etc etc. The same for controllers.

I recently went and looked again at traditional CDJ's and WOW have they changed! What I spent on my CDJ-400's and DJM-400 barely came close to one new CDJ! Price aside it seemed to be the logical choice but between the CDJ-900 nexus, CDJ-2000 nexus it gets confusing to me. What's really necessary, what's cool and what's fluff. To add to confusion I saw a RMX-1000 and that just added to the confusion. I got a headache from all the visual and audio overload and headed home empty handed.

This past weekend I looked at a DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ, as they seemed to be where the market is heading but I needed to use my macbook and rely on software, software that eventually would no longer be supported and I'd be forced to upgrade in a few years. I inquired about using a RMX-1000 with the controllers but was told it's possible but there is considerable lag so that was a put off.

I realize this most likely boils down to a personal decision I'll have to make on my own but I'm just looking for some thoughtful advice from some vet's or other hobbyists who possibly have had to make a decision similar to this one. What I do know is that I did dust off my old Pro-Scratch 2's and had to burn a few CD's and after an hour of use my wife said I had the biggest smile on my face. So I know this is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for reading!

I would lean towards CDJs, rather than controllers. You can use CDJs as controllers if you really want to, so you have the option to mix with a USB or use a laptop with a software.

The main differences between the CDJ900nxs and CDJ2000nxs is that the CDJ2000nxs has hot cues and a needle search.

You ask "what's really necessary" ...that's a personal choice. So what do you really need or want? Depending on what you need, you can get other CDJs that are cheaper, but the 900 and 2000 are obviously the best ones out there.

Why not buy a pair of CDJ 400's again, there still pretty relevant and better than there replacement the 350's. Or if the price of some 900Nexus is too steep why not look at the CDJ 850 ?
    Parts
    Technics 1210//CDJ400//DDM4000//X1//Audio 10//MBP 15" Mid 2012

Tech Mentor

I think a good basis of your decision would be around where you plan on playing... at home, gigging at local bars, mobile for private parties, or trying to get a residency at a larger bar/club. I recently pulled myself out of 'retirement' and started playing at a small venue. For me, dragging CDJs or turntables along with my PA would be a hassle and not necessary. The lounge I play at does not have much room. So, I opted to use a controller (S2 that I bought on deal a few years ago) and Traktor (which I've been toying with for a long time). It's easier to setup, takes up very little space, and allows me to get up and running fairly quickly. I do plan on possibly making a transition to a hardware mixer and X1's / timecode... but, that is only if I move on to another venue that has a proper dj booth.
    It sounds like you have experience with vinyl and cd already, so if you are asked to play a venue that has that medium you should be able to pick right back up and use the gear they provide

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

This past weekend I looked at a DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ, as they seemed to be where the market is heading but I needed to use my macbook and rely on software, software that eventually would no longer be supported and I'd be forced to upgrade in a few years.
    That will always be the case, even with CDJ's. I can't imagine serato dropping support for the SX / SZ for a long time to come.

I guess it boils down to whether you

A) just fancy having a mix at home every now and then.

B) Intend playing in clubs which already have pioneer gear installed and you need the same workflow at home.

C) Intend playing clubs / parties and carrying all your gear to gigs

If its "A" I'd get a decent controller like the DDJ-SX or even the DDJ-T1 which is super cheap right now and pretty much the same layout as your old CDJ-400's.

If its "B" I'd probably splash out on CDJ-350's or 850's as you can prep sets in rekordbox and when you go to a club you can just plug in your USB and play

If its "C" I might consider something like the DDJ Aero or XDJ-R1 which can be used standalone via USB, with a computer or remotely with an iPad/iphone and are reasonably small for shifting around.

I think for me, having been out of it for a bit and not really paying attention to every conceivable new feature on the entire Pioneer line, I started to just get overwhelmed.

Like JayRuss said, just get another pair of CDJ-400's, I think I got lucky when I got mine they were both new in box but now all that can be had is used with questionable history on fleabay, except the one NIB that's over 600 currently.

Robbyluca brought up a good point, hot cues and needle search. This was something I had not considered till the salesman pointed them out to me while I was looking at gear. After that, my mind just went everywhere, what about adding a RMX-1000, what about having the reverse button or switch, what about this, what about that. Eventually it led me to start to micromanage the functionality of various units and who had what and if one had one feature and the other did not, I just kept going up the ladder, hence, cdj-400, to 850 to 900 then 2000 it doesn't seem to end.

As deevey summed it up by breaking it down with A, B and C choices. I would most likely just be mucking about at home. I don't really have any desire to re-enter the field anymore but again, I did not think I was going to miss my equipment so badly after I sold it all.

I've got it in my head that I now "need" all these extra's from seeing what's possible with the top tier gear, including apparently the ability to add a RMX-1000 on top of new kit I've never even used before. Apparently according to the sales guy you are not able to use a RMX-1000 with any of the controllers. I almost miss the old days to a certain point but then again it's progression and I have to progress.

I want to be smart about this and not just spend a bunch of money on gear that is frankly not going to get used to it's fullest or be a complete waste. Kicking ideas around like this helps though and I genuinely appreciate the input and feedback!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    That will always be the case, even with CDJ's. I can't imagine serato dropping support for the SX / SZ for a long time to come.

I guess it boils down to whether you

A) just fancy having a mix at home every now and then.

B) Intend playing in clubs which already have pioneer gear installed and you need the same workflow at home.

C) Intend playing clubs / parties and carrying all your gear to gigs

If its "A" I'd get a decent controller like the DDJ-SX or even the DDJ-T1 which is super cheap right now and pretty much the same layout as your old CDJ-400's.

If its "B" I'd probably splash out on CDJ-350's or 850's as you can prep sets in rekordbox and when you go to a club you can just plug in your USB and play

If its "C" I might consider something like the DDJ Aero or XDJ-R1 which can be used standalone via USB, with a computer or remotely with an iPad/iphone and are reasonably small for shifting around.
    I would not splash out on Option C. Firstly because it's heavier than the SX with a laptop. Secondly because you can't trust that shit when you're playing out. Just Google all the problems.

A DDJ-SX or SR would be fine for mobile gigs and still feel pretty close compared to the CDJ/DJM series.

Yes. What is your style and motive?
    If you play house and just want to play around at home try Cross DJ for iPad.

If you already own an iPad, you could be mixing today for free/$9.99.

It's a fun little app.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRuss View Post
    Why not buy a pair of CDJ 400's again, there still pretty relevant and better than there replacement the 350's. Or if the price of some 900Nexus is too steep why not look at the CDJ 850 ?
    I agree with this.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    I agree with this.
    Theres + and - with both, can't use HID mode with traktor on the 350's
    Cant use Rekordbox in the 400's

The 350's are better overall in terms of file types, load times, but their connectivity lets them down - however this in the fault of NI and not Pioneer I'm guessing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast