As usually happens, it all started with a crazy idea. For a while now I had been considering changing all of my copies of the tracks I had written to AIF files, instead of wav files like I had been using forÖ. well, ever. The main driver was that I wanted a better way to make sure all the graphics I had created for my releases stayed with the audio files. And as the DJs among you might already know, AIF files support not only embedding artwork, but also meta-data.
And speaking of DJs, I wanted to convert all of my Tarekith DJ and live sets as well. Not just for the artwork aspect, but also because I could then embed the tracklists in the files as well. Just makes it easier to ensure all the relevant info is there when I need it.
And just for fun, I figured I would also do the same for all the MP3 versions of my songs, except I would create 320kbps AACs as the compressed format. Iíve already been releasing all my tracks online as AACís over the past year, and so far it hasnít been an issue for anyone. Why AAC? Read my blog post on the subject here: http://tarekith.com/mastered-for-itunes/
Of course, nothing is ever easy is it?
The plan had been to first create all the different formats I needed from the original wav files, and then bring everything into iTunes to do all the tagging and artwork embedding. But as I started collecting all the current files I had, I realized that somehow things had gotten sloppy over the last 20 years. Sometimes I might have a wav version of a song but no MP3 version (not a problem), other times I might only have an MP3 version of one of my DJ sets, but I didnít have a wav version saved on my hard drive (problem).
Iím normally really organized when it comes to my own music, but over the last 20 years Iíve written over 130 songs, as well as dozens of live and DJ sets. Somehow a few tracks didnít get copied to the right folders I guess. I wasnít too stressed about it though, because I ALWAYS make physical back ups when I finish a track as well, typically to CDR or DVDr.
As I started going through my stacks of CDR backups however, I began to realize that some of the really old ones had hit that point where they were no longer readable. Or maybe I had saved the DAW project files for a song, but no longer owned that DAW (Cubase, Reason, etc). Either way, quite a few of the back ups were either unreadable, or I couldnít access the data easily which really defeats the purpose.
Thatís when the fun started.
Continue reading -> http://tarekith.com/your-masters-matter/