Speakers help please
    Tech Wizard

Default Speakers help please

At the moment i only dj online so i use my pioneer sdj08. Now i live on my own i have been having a few house party and i feel these are not doing the job. I was thinking of adding maybe one more speaker in the corner of the room but not wanting anything 2 loud dont want 2 piss of the neighbors lol . What do u think something small but can add more volume ?

I used a hi fi home stereo set up for a long time. It's cheap. Sounds decent. And it can be used for other things. (TV, computer, normal listening)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Look for an old (60's - early 80's) second hand hi fi system on ebay/craigslist and look up the model on google to see if it's a good buy. You can pick them up on craigslist for cheap and they usually pump out a good amount of sound and can cost you less than 200 bucks for two 10 inch woofers and a nice analogue receiver.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Tech Wizard

krk rokit 5 is incredible value for money and will take all the punishment you can throw at it. They go plenty loud enough for house parties and have a pretty decent bass response.

You can by them individually too, which will be cheaper.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by olisharp View Post
    They go plenty loud enough for house parties and have a pretty decent bass response.
    That's just incorrect. Studio monitors are made for production, so they have a flat eq curve (i.e. they represent all frequencies equally, unlike most other sound systems) and they're meant for listening from a close range.

They will suffice for a house party, but you can get much more appropriate speakers for much less money.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    That's just incorrect. Studio monitors are made for production, so they have a flat eq curve (i.e. they represent all frequencies equally, unlike most other sound systems) and they're meant for listening from a close range.

They will suffice for a house party, but you can get much more appropriate speakers for much less money.
    KRK's have anything but a flat response, they have an extremely exaggerated bottom end.

And actually would work pretty well in a house party environment.

Saying that monitors are only for production is well, wrong. Yes they are made for it, and yes they are supposed to have a flat frequency response, many don't, and most can be used in listening applications, production, DJ monitors.

Anyway back on topic and to the OP, whats your budget?
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

I got my old canadian Hi-Fi system for free... cost me 19 bucks to repair them and 30 for an old reciever

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    And actually would work pretty well in a house party environment.
    I respectfully disagree. I've been to house parties with KRK 6s and some with a much cheaper combination of speakers + subwoofer and the KRKs did a worse job.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post
    That's just incorrect.
    What exactly is incorrect? They're not loud enough for a house party? I had 5 noise complaints from my last house party, one was from a flat in a building across the road, so I can safely say that they're loud enough.

Not a decent bass response? Well ok, not compared to my K&H 0300 they don't, no.

Have you actually listened to Rokit 5s? They're ported and have a pretty exaggerated bass response around 60 to 80hz.

"Studio monitors are meant for listening from a close range?" Rather sweeping generalisation wouldn't you say? When you're in a commercial studio do you get your head close to the main monitors? No. You listen from all the way across the room sat behind the desk.

They will suffice for a house party? Well yes they will won't they, which is exactly what the OP is looking for, or is that just incorrect too?

Rokit 5s are £125 each - what exactly are these "much more appropriate speakers for much less money"?

Vague comments do nothing to advance the thread and only serve to spread confusion.

Tech Guru

It's all about the size of your room and how close your neighbours are really. We used a friend's rokits set up on his kitchen bench a few nights ago and it cranked out plenty of volume and bass and was easy to set up. If you're just having a casual sesh with your mates and want speakers to move around they're a great option.

If you want it to be a permanent set up in a room like a lounge room I would definitely prefer a second hand hi fi for this as they pump out a decent amount of volume and if you do a bit of research you can get an amazing sounding louder set up for the price of one 5 inch Rokit (or even less if you are lucky).

The downsides of 'monitors' even rokits is that they have a small sweet spot, with a hi fi speaker it's designed to fill a room with sound and sound great. Also with a receiver you can hook up a bunch of stuff to it.
    Last edited by LoopCat; 05-06-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.