[Deep House] There's Not A Soul (Original Production) (Free D/L) - Tell Me How Ugly My Baby Is!

Default There's Not A Soul (Original Production) (Free D/L) - Tell Me How Ugly My Baby Is!

This has a bit of a chill, deep tech house vibe to it.

I'd love some feedback on this one. The last production I posted was moreso a kick in the ehem to get me through a complete song in Ableton in 48 hours using two synths I had no familiarity with. This one's actually something I'm pretty happy with - something that I took a lot of time and attention to detail. I'd love to hear feedback - both good and bad so I can get a little better at this.

2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Got a really nice vibe.

I used to be a mastering engineer and did a few years recording and mixing before that, so that's where I'm coming from. I've not done my own programming.

The intro up to about 0.32, the bass drum pattern and quantising is a little strange and doesn't quite work for me. The clap, or is it finger pops, which comes in is a little lack lustre. It's quite low in the mix and personally I would try and get another sample, or beef it up in the mix a little.

When the main thing gets going at 0.32 it's good. The bass is a bit overpowering and the bass is a bit woolly. Bongos and synths and vocal sample sound really good. Sometimes pulling out a bit between 160hz-250hz on the bass can help. It's ringing a bit. Also try a side chain compressor on the bass, triggered by the bass drum, to stop it booming too much when the bass drum hits.

The clap which comes in at about 2.46 is a tad loud and doesn't quite sit properly. It's a bit out of time and obviously it's meant to be that way. It might work better backing it off slightly, or re-timing it, and personally I would lose the clap altogether at the drop at 3.45.

I think generally it's pretty darn good mate just needs refining
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

That's exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear. Thank you!

I'm discovering that not only is production about learning the tools at your disposal and putting your thoughts/emotions into music, but learning how to listen in a way that's different as well.

So thanks again Timbo and any other constructive criticism is more than welcome! (Please!)
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Keep at it.

I think the intro definitely needs sorting.

One way could be to start with 8 bars of bass drum just doing 4's, as in the pattern it's playing from 0.32. If you can perfect the timing of the bass drum doing a few off beats you could have that for 4 bars right at the beginning then go to the bass drum doing straight 4's, then fade in the pad after about 8 bars, after another 8 bars bring in the bongos, 8 bars and bring in the finger pops, then 8 bars and get to where you are when it hits at 0.32 and the bass hits. That would build it nicely leading to the main body. At the moment the intro feels disconnected from the main. Really like the bongos, btw.
    Last edited by Timbo21; 04-27-2014 at 04:47 AM.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Alright, finally put the push down and updated.

Here's what I did to it.

Fixed quantization of drums - copy/paste when the grid is at different tempos apparently isn't a good thing without quantizing.
    Gain staged all instruments/samples
    Extended intro and outro to be a bit more DJ friendly
    Added bassline - apparently lost the preset and mods I used originally, so created one from scratch
    Re-mixed the whole freakin thing
    Changed clap sample

Would love to hear criticism - constructive and overly bad.