What can I use in my setup?

Default What can I use in my setup?

Hello there. I'm a beginner DJ for a few months and i was wondering what i can use in my DJ setup. I currently have serato DJ on my laptop with my numark mixtrack pro II. The laptop usb goes to the controller which has a red and white (left and right) rca imputs that currently go to my pioneer stereo that plays out of 2 speakers (also pioneer :P). so now, ive been looking at a launchpad, a korg kaosilator pro and an akai mpd24 and i was really hoping i could use one of these while i mix. not to say live because im just starting out as a bedroom dj but it would be awesome to expand the setup from just a controller, mainly to atleast by the mpd24. If i could use these, how do i use them with the controller? If i cant use any of these, can you tell me any other products i can use and how to use them? thanks!

Tech Mentor

You think of it the wrong way: First think of what you want than look for something that can do it. Those things all have knobs and stuff, they are in some way electronic devices, but that's about what they share. I could tell you what they do now, but if that's what you wanted to know, you would have asked Google. If some creativity is all you are looking for grab an old can and do some drumming on it. I'm serious.

If really all you are looking for is explanations of what these devices do: the launchpad is a MIDI-controller for Ableton Live (and others) to launch audio clips; the MPD24 is MIDI-controller with the purpose of fingerdrumming in mind - it can be used with a ton of softwares too - most often used with Ableton as well; the korg kaosilator pro is a synthesizer so it produces sounds.

Tech Guru

Tilldrop pretty much hit the nail on the head there: Buy the equipment you need, not equipment you think you might.

My guess, from the devices you listed, is that you care about looking cool whilst playing music rather than playing music and then looking cool. You're going about all of this the wrong way. The MP2 is a fantastic two deck controller, and you could easily take it to a club with you laptop and smash the night and you'd look cool as tits because you're good at your job.

I've worked with DJs that "use" 4 decks, and it's the standard two deck mixing, one deck with a one-shot sample and the fourth deck with an acapella they drop once. Not cool.

Here's what to do:

Start up a mix. Start mixing songs. If you want to do something a bit dramatic/flair-ish, throw it in. However, if you can't throw it in because your equipment doesn't allow, you now know what you need from your next device. Do this for an hour or two and make a note every time you run into this "equipment-block". At the end, you'll know what you need and what priority it is.

I use this method to find what song edits/acapellas I need to make/find.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Find yourself

Look for your own sound and way of doing it, will come naturally