Accidentally Broke VCI-100 USB Connector
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Accidentally Broke VCI-100 USB Connector

FINAL UPDATE:
    I managed to fix it, simply got a replacement usb port and soldered it on.
    Works like new.

----

So last night I'm doing a set in my living room and somehow my VCI-100 slips off the table and lands on the floor, usb connector first. (there was some alcohol involved). Since this happened it's stopped working.
    I waited till today to open it (didn't want to do any more harm in my drunken state) and it looks like some of the connections from the usb connector to the board are broken. The power light lights up but the midi doesn't work and the lights on the buttons don't turn on when I plug it in.

Am I fucked or do you think a pro might be able to fix it?
    if not, do you know of any place that sells replacement boards?

--------------------------{EDIT}--------------------------
    Here're photos of the damage:

Last edited by aptiva; 12-07-2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Fixed controller

Tech Wizard

if its less than a year old and you live in the uk, simply send it back and say it stopped working, but other than that im not sure... good luck matey

After loosing a laptop in a houseparty/wine related incident, that's why I now insure my gear. It's not much and it does buy peace of mind

Hope you manage to fix it chap
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

Get some pic's of the internals up mate, can you see any connections that are broke?

Cutta

Tech Mentor

if the pcb is broken you can try to solder wires to the circuit on the pcb and connect it to the usb.If the pins are broken you can just remove the pins and put on a new usb connector. I dont know anyone that sells replacement boards for the vci. It would be a pain anyways since you would have to swap everything over.

Like they said if you get pics we might be able to help. I know a few spots to buy a new usb connector to solder to the board if its the type I am thinking. (if the connector is broke)

It shouldnt be to hard to find someone that has pcb board soldering experence so unless the main board is broke you should be ok. I would be glad to help if you are near my location.

Quote Originally Posted by CuttaBoi View Post
    Get some pic's of the internals up mate, can you see any connections that are broke?

Cutta
    What he said, take pics of the damage and we will tell you what you can do to hopefully fix it

Tech Convert

Sorry for the delay! But here's photos of the pcb. Please let me know if you think it's salvageable (or not ;~; )

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by aptiva View Post
    Sorry for the delay! But here's photos of the pcb. Please let me know if you think it's salvageable (or not ;~; )
    From the looks of it, the usb connection has snapped (can't fully make it out though :/ ).

Can you get any more pics closer up on the usb connection & also the underside of the pcb. I would think this can probably be fixed with abit of soldering though mate.

Cutta

connector look salvageable but if a pin is broken this is a new one that should be the right one

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=139

a tv repair shop might be a option if your afraid to solder it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast