Chasing dreams DJing - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ruel View Post
    That's a bit delusional. I'm sure we've all had that dream at one point, or the dream of owning a club, etc. They are nice to have, and it could happen for some of us. But you can't really bet on it, or even plan on it. You need to work very hard, and be in the right place at the right time, and know the right people.

I also would advise against a lot of music courses, unless you have really really though this through and have a master plan.

This is another common mistake a lot of young people are making today, they are taking on massive debt to earn degrees without earning potential. Education never hurts of course, but most of these music schools (particularly the ones that have popped up with the EDM boom) are expensive, and they aren't accredited. And there's a pretty good chance your degree will not earn you any money.
    what about full sail? they seem to have a pretty good program as far as foundation goes. even if you don't hit it big right out of school, i'm pretty sure you could make a good living mastering tracks/being a studio engineer. that kind of job will surely land you a lot of connections and then who knows....

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    I wouldn't recommend doing a music technology/production course. But if it's something you really want to do go for it. I'd go for a more worthwhile course like English and Mathematics etc. I'm doing Law, Psychology, English Literature and English Language at A Level. Originally I was going to do music production level 3, but then I realised I can just learn and produce music at home in my spare time. After all, it is a hobby.

I would recommend getting yourself out there a bit, go to a club (even if you're not DJing) to talk to people and introduce yourself as a DJ and don't be scared to say that you're a DJ. That's basically what I did and I got to know a top house promoter in my city of Brighton.. Until I screwed it up.

maths and english wouldn't be worthwhile for me it would be a waste of life getting into a career that I have no interest in im young now and ive realised I need to go for something i love doing thats how I will be successfull just put all the work in

Tech Mentor

loads of people make it under 10 years this gezzar round by me is now wileys official DJ hes 21

Tech Mentor

Also a work
    colleague djs at weddings and stuff events etc and asked me when I was gigging he may have some work for me if im good but I told I wont be giiging for a while I Need loads more practice, and he was like mate come see how I do its piss easy im lazy I just use my laptop he was saying hes an entertainer not a dj thats his bushiness. and he could have doing some kid birthdays as pratice and then 21 birthdays and 18s and stuff but he has friends that are resident djs and ask him to warm up for them but he says hes aint a dj like that and was saying he would introduce me.

I live a good life, but I wouldn't say that I ever chased a dream. When I first got into DJing, none of that was ever part of my plan. All I wanted to do was play the music I liked the way I liked to play it for people that didn't know it and now I've toured all across the US and Canada, and after 12 years finally touched down in Europe last year. All the gigs and everything just fell into my lap.

Your main focus should be finding your style, breaking the mold, challenging the status quo, and becoming YOU. Like everyone has said already, networking with the right people is crucial. The promoters are gonna be the ones to give you your chance on stage and you gotta use your skills to 1) make the crowd happy and 2) keep the promoters coming back to you. This is how you'll have a long and happy DJ career.

Some people here might disagree and say networking is more important, but the point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what is #1 and #2 you still want to spend a hefty amount of time developing your skills and craft. What defines you as a DJ? Why should anyone care? That will basically sell itself.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

these days most DJ's traveling the world either A play pre recorded sets, B do not produce their own material, its made for them. or C both.

I do live off my music, granted I teach on sundays to make ends meet, oh and i buy discounted groceries. I also don't pay for internet, tv or have a car. I am also single... but i do live off my music.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    loads of people make it under 10 years this gezzar round by me is now wileys official DJ hes 21

Loads of people do..... and loads of people sit on the dole

just put the work in

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    these days most DJ's traveling the world either A play pre recorded sets, B do not produce their own material, its made for them. or C both.

I do live off my music, granted I teach on sundays to make ends meet, oh and i buy discounted groceries. I also don't pay for internet, tv or have a car. I am also single... but i do live off my music.
    Do you find it harder working as a DJ living in Canada ?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by G7no View Post
    Loads of people do..... and loads of people sit on the dole

just put the work in
    I will

Quote Originally Posted by G7no View Post
    Do you find it harder working as a DJ living in Canada ?
    In Ottawa... haha i had this discussion with a friend the other day. about how variou artists made it big from Ottawa, from musicians to actors. I told him "lemme guess they moved out of Ottawa then got famous"

Me and my DJ buddies are trying to build a scene that is not there, rather then run away. Actually, very soon i will be making some serious money teaching in my studio. I am also gigging alot more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast