Thinking of buying a Maschine, but I need to know...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thinking of buying a Maschine, but I need to know...

... Can I get away with using it on it's own? Or do I need a DAW too? I've done some Googling and looks like I can get away with just the Maschine. But, will not running a DAW take anything away from what it can do?

Trying to decide between the Mikro or normal one too. But I don't know if I can justify £150 for an extra screen and some knobs (did I just say that? hmm...). Plus if I do need a DAW too, that £150 could be diverted off in that direction.

Basically just after using the step sequencer in a more hands on way than mousing (which I have done before and dislike - which is why I never spent the money to upgrade the Ableton trial and didn't want to faff with all the mapping if I bought a controller), and this will be closer to using the Electribe EM-1 I used to have many years ago.
    I have no problem with doing knob tweaks by mouse as they'll pretty much be static once set and doubt I'll do much effects automation. So I can't see why I'd need the full Maschine.

Is there anything I'm missing in terms of differences (besides the obvious)?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Reaper is a "free" DAW if you feel that Maschine 2 is lacking at all.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

cool, thanks.

what about the knobs vs no knobs thing?

SoundCloud

Tech Guru

I usually do all the adjustments by mouse too, and haven't really used the knobs and buttons much on my full Maschine. There's no other difference between the two versions.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

that makes a big difference in the decision making tbh.
    keep going back to this thread on NI forums too.

I think I will just get the Mikro. Can do all the stuff (with some compromise) and is cheaper/smaller. Not that I plan to travel with it, but if I want to hook it in alongside my DJ setup, space is less of an issue.

SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Fine on it's own. I actually find myself sketching things out on Maschine first then dragging into Live or Logic.
    Get the Micro if you are short on space or cash. The regular is better if you wish to look more at the hardware and less at the computer. Fantastic piece of kit, though. Hope to see it integrated more with Traktor in the future.

Tech Mentor

BTW... Just received an email from NI
    $200 off Studio
    $100 off regular
    $50 off Micro

Until end if may. Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Reaper is a "free" DAW if you feel that Maschine 2 is lacking at all.
    Reaper is not free. After a 60 day eval, you need to buy a license to keep using it (although it will keep working anyway).

I had the Mikro Mk2 for a while, and then sold it. This is what i think of the Mikro:

- Essentially, it does the same that the Normal one does, but with the Normal Maschine you have almost a button or knob for everything. With the Mikro, not quite. It's annoying when you want to do somethig on the Mikro and you don't remember the shortcuts to reach it, and if you want to do some specific things, i.e. sampling without using the PC, with the Mikro is very stressful and with the Normal is almost automatic
    - If you want to make live performances, the Normal Maschine lets you make what your imagination wants in the moment (ex. effects). With the Mikro, not at all.
    - If the main reason you have to buy the Mikro is the price, there are good drum machine controllers on the market with nice pads and at a much better price than the Mikro (like the Akai MPD 26, it has more knobs than the Mikro, and faders too).
    - Depending on which you are going to make with it, buying a Mikro could compromise your creative process.

Hope it helped

i do keep worrying whether i'd miss the extra knobs and button for everything. but don't intend to do much live stuff. but if i don't have them i'll want them...

got another week til payday. and still leaning toward the mikro. but creeping toward the full one

SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast