Do I upgrade this computer or get a new one
    Tech Wizard

Default Do I upgrade this computer or get a new one

So I have a mid 2010 mac book pro 13inch with 4gb memory and a 256gb hdd. Idk weather to update the ram and drives on this thing or get something else, thats apple, of course I'm starting to produce more music but this laptop is too slow to hold up Logic Pro X and my music for DJ'ing and plugins. So any good/helpful opinions are wanted, lovely forum
    Last edited by ERROX; 05-22-2014 at 01:28 AM.

It's more of a question of how much money you can spend. Adding 8GB ram and disk should cost less than £100 (in UK). However it won't have a massive impact on the performance. Unless you are getting out of memory crashes.

With most soft synths and plugins it won't have any impact. You can of course load more sample based instruments like Kontak or Omnisphere but that's as far as it goes. In my experience CPU will give up much sooner, than the RAM (I'm running 2.53 Core 2 Duo mac book pro with 8GB and I didn't really notice much of a difference over 4GB)

Still…it does the job. It's a bit annoying having to freeze a lot sometimes, but at least it stopes me from tweaking everything to death.

If you don't need a laptop, Mac Mini is probably the best performance to cost option.
    MBP/Traktor Scratch PRO/Ableton Live/Kontrol X1/iPad

Tech Wizard

i'm willing to spend about $700 on a new computer or to upgrade this one that i have

I'd get a new one mate, maybe sell this one and get a new MBP or mac mini if you're ok with a desktop.

There is nothing that can be upgraded in a mac book pro that will make a big difference in performance.

At the same time, if you can't buy a new one right now, RAM an HDDs are cheap (if you don't go to apple) and easy to install.
    MBP/Traktor Scratch PRO/Ableton Live/Kontrol X1/iPad