How were they created?
    Tech Convert

Default How were they created?

Hi there!

I am seeking to create this grungy snare hit in this track:

And the snare in this one as well:

Any help would be great!

Cheers

The first one just sounds like the snare is heavily compressed, with a short decay time and a low pass filter applied. I'd say about the same for the second example, but not as heavily filtered

Tech Wizard

do you mean the snare roll, or the "snare" on the 2nd and 4th beat of every bar? the snare roll is just a fairly standard accoustic sounding snare like you'd find in Addictive Drums

The 2nd and 4th beats of the bar, in house, are pretty much always a clap layered over the kick. In the examples you've given it sounds like a clap and a rimshot layered with the kick.

The samples you use for your layers, and how you mix them together is what gives you the sound. If you have 1 layer of your sound starting a little bit before the others, it gives this kind of sucking effect, like in the examples you've given.

Camel crusher is an excellent, free VST. The distortion section works really well with drums.

If you have producer mates get them to show you how to layer drums, or there are loads of good tutorials on youtube (nzmusic 101 for example)

Tech Convert

Default Snare hits

Quote Originally Posted by olisharp View Post
    do you mean the snare roll, or the "snare" on the 2nd and 4th beat of every bar? the snare roll is just a fairly standard accoustic sounding snare like you'd find in Addictive Drums

The 2nd and 4th beats of the bar, in house, are pretty much always a clap layered over the kick. In the examples you've given it sounds like a clap and a rimshot layered with the kick.

The samples you use for your layers, and how you mix them together is what gives you the sound. If you have 1 layer of your sound starting a little bit before the others, it gives this kind of sucking effect, like in the examples you've given.

Camel crusher is an excellent, free VST. The distortion section works really well with drums.

If you have producer mates get them to show you how to layer drums, or there are loads of good tutorials on youtube (nzmusic 101 for example)
    In the first track, it is the snare hit on the 2nd and 4th beat! I want to know how that particular snapped snare hit is created.
    And the snare hit on the second track as well on the 2nd and 4th beat.

I will use distortion on the drums, thanks for that and will take a look at the site you gave me. Lastly, I do not have any producer friends. All the help I get, if any, is from here. I've messaged several producers and asked how a particular sound was created and they always gave a vague response. So I continue to ask, work, refine and
    produce.

Thanks for your help!

The first track is very similar to compressed. You probably need to increase the frequency and bass ...
    Last edited by ZakDuk; 08-11-2014 at 05:17 AM.