VCI-100 as mixer for DVS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default VCI-100 as mixer for DVS

Hey all - long time lurker, first time poster here. Just wanted to quickly thank ya'll at DJTT for providing me with an excellent resource for any of my digital DJing needs!

Onto the question:

I'm thinking about picking up a new setup and think I've narrowed it down to two options -

VCI-100SE & Audio 4 DJ with possible expansion into TSP DVS:
    The idea here is to simply use the VCI-100SE as a primary controller for Traktor until I can afford a set of turntables. Ultimately, I would be using the VCI100-SE as the internal mixer for Traktor Scratch Pro, an Audio 4 DJ as my interface, and two timecoded vinyls on my decks.

Questions:
    1) Will the final setup (TSP/100SE/Audio4/2 Timecode Vinyls) work with full functionality/headphone cuing/prelistening?

2) Has anyone tried using the VCI-100 as a primary mixer for turntables through TSP? If so, how's the responsiveness?

3) The VCI-100 and turntables will obviously both have independent pitch faders; which one will I be using? How would the pitch on both controls interact with one another? I'm assuming the VCI-100's jog wheels/pitch would cede function to the timecoded decks but I'm unclear on this.

4) Will I still be able to use all the VCI-100SE abilities while running 2 timecode tables in TSP? Again, what's the basic interaction here look like?

I understand some of these questions are redundant and probably have a pretty simple answer but unfortunately I haven't been able to find much on this combo.

Thoughts?

Tech Guru

1) Yes since the Audio 4 has a headphone jack u just assign the cue to that and the master to the outputs.

2) Yes it works just like a regular mixer. The best feature of the VCI is the ability to adjust the crossfader curve, so the vci can be used for scratching.

3) If your running DVS you can run traktor in relative mode, meaning loops and cue points are all functional with the Vinyl. So that means you can use your pitch faders on the VCI and it will change it in traktor.

4) Yes again, loops and cue points are all enabled even while running DVS.

it's the perfect way to use the functionality of Traktor with vinyl feel.

Tech Convert

Awesome! Thanks for the hasty reply rdej47!

Another quick question to add on top of that - how would my VCI-100SE function in absolute mode? I'm assuming only the EQ's and faders will work, with the transport/pitch controls being relegated over to my decks?

Apologies as I'm not familiar at all with the differences between relative/absolute modes.

Otherwise, this sounds like a perfect solution for somebody like myself! I adore Traktor, prefer the feel of vinyl/spin a good amount of hip-hop, and am getting more and more into cue point juggling and the other unique aspects of a digital setup.

EDIT: So just to confirm - the VCI-100 will function as the pitch control in relative mode for my 2 timecoded decks? Will the pitch fader on the turntables have any function at all or are they irrelevant to my setup at this point?

Tech Guru

absolute mode acts like true vinyl, if you want to start a track at the beginning in traktor, YOU HAVE 2 be at the beginning of the vinyl. Relative mode in a way is like if a turntable had a magic needle it could jump to cue points and jump back 4 beats for loops, but this is impossible so this is where controllers come in.

The VCI EQ and Fx section will work. I don't believe pitch control works in absolute mode. Also no matter what mode your in relative/or absolute, never touch the jog wheels on the VCI to track search. It will throw your timecode control outta whack and will cause delayed control. Ex. if you stop the timecode vinyl it'll take about 2 seconds for Traktor to stop the current playing track.

Tech Guru

Forgot to answer your last question. The pitch faders on the turntables are still useful since they'll still be more sensitive then the ones on the VCI. On the other hand since the pitch faders on the VCI are digital the change is instant, where as the pitch on the turntables has to slow down or speed up the motor. I would recommend using pitch bend as oppose to the faders at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Also no matter what mode your in relative/or absolute, never touch the jog wheels on the VCI to track search. It will throw your timecode control outta whack and will cause delayed control. Ex. if you stop the timecode vinyl it'll take about 2 seconds for Traktor to stop the current playing track.
    I encounter the issue you mention on my DVS/VCI-100 system. Do you know why this is happening and if there's any hope for it to be fixed through an improved tsi or future Traktor version?

I attempted in vain to modify the VCI-100 SE tsi file so that it disables timecode control as I touch the jog wheel and re-enables it when I remove my fingers and therefore avoid the interference between the two.

Any clues on a workaround?

Tech Guru

I don't think there's a work around because its conflicting with the vinyl. You can be spinning the jog wheels backwards to track search but while the vinyl is spinning forward it confuses the system. If you need to jump around the track quickly I suggest mapping a couple of buttons to the beat jump function. That's what I do while using vinyl to get around the track quicker.

My idea of workaround was based on these two facts :

- The VCIs jog wheel is touch sensitive
    - Timecode control can be enabled or disabled

If we could find a way to map it so as it disables Timecode control while you touch the jog, maybe we could resolve the issue.

What do you think?

If it's out of question through a tsi mod, why not seeking help from the Native Instrument's dev team to address that?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You could use Bomes to have that happen that when you touch the jog wheel it changes the control mode and when you release it it resets it to timecode control.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I have a question because I am thinking about doing the same set up here.
    I'm a little confuse about using audio 4 DJ as an equipment to handle all of this input/output. Here is my questions:

- If I set up 2 turntables or 2 CDJs (TPS/DVS) and plugged all of the cord between audio 4 dj and these equipments, how do you get the output to amplifier? It seem like they will filled up all of the ports of audio 4 dj right? Do I still need an another mixer before going to amplifier anyway? I can't just use the audio 4 DJ to send the output to amp anymore right? This question might seem very stupid but I just want to make sure

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast