DJ Speakers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ Speakers

Tech Wizard

Default DJ Speakers

Hey, I'm looking for advise on dj speakers please. I really would like to be able to play them loud yet still remain crisp clear.

Mainly for djing but some production too. They are for a bedroom environment but as mentioned above, I would like to be able to play them loud yet the bass etc. remaining crisp clear.

Unfortunately I don't live near a DJ shop where I could get a trial listen, so I'm relying on Internet reviews and people like you guys please.

My budget is around 500 euro. So far the best I have come across is the Pioneer SDJ80X. Has anyone any experience with these by any chance?

Any help or advise is really appreciated. Many Thanks.

Tech Guru

What drew you to the Pioneers? Based on reviews?

With that budget there's quite a few options, is your bedroom big?
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Guru

Are you looking for studio monitors or PAs?

There's really no reason to DJ at loud volumes. Mackie MR8s get my vote.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    What drew you to the Pioneers? Based on reviews?

With that budget there's quite a few options, is your bedroom big?
    Just this particular pioneer speaker set seemed to be getting good reviews. I'm not drawn to any name as such, just going on reviews.

Just a normal sized house bedroom. I have pretty large Peavey speakers as is.Ive had them for years but I just never really found the sound quality that great with them. Loud, but the quality when mixing just isn't that good I find.

So I'm looking to invest on something that is really clear, with a nice crack off the bass. Anyone's help is much appreciated.

Tech Guru

The Adam F7's although slightly over budget have been getting some very good reviews, and with the ribbon tweeter should sparkle as well as have a big bottom end.

Other options I'd consider, Yamaha HS8, a friend has he old model, and they kick out a lot of bass as well as staying clear. Think the Yamaha's come in under budget but not sure.

Another one to think about, new model from fostex PM641, which have gotten some good reviews, and with it being a 3-way speaker should sound really good. Has the smallest woofer at 6.5 inches, but should still pack a punch.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

The Adam F-series is very very good! Own the F5's my self since my bedroom is smallish. Still lots bottom end and that ribbon is good sounding!

For the price I have yet to find a better speaker!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deflits980 View Post
    The Adam F-series is very very good! Own the F5's my self since my bedroom is smallish. Still lots bottom end and that ribbon is good sounding!

For the price I have yet to find a better speaker!
    The F7's are getting very good reviews. With your F5's can you play them loud? I do have a habit to play loud so just hoping I wouldn't blow them as I havnt had studio speakers before.

So generally speaking the Adam f 7 speakers would be better quality than Pioneer S DJ80X do you guys reckon?

Obviously it's not ideal not getting a trial listen so just have to rely on advise and reviews etc. Thanks again.

Tech Mentor

I'm 2 feet away from my speakers so they are loud enough. If you have a bigger room you could add the subwoofer from the F-series to give it that extra oomph.

Or the Adam F7's would do just fine I guess.

Generally I do think the F-series from Adam is better quality then the Pioneer S DJ80X. I just like the way the ribbon tweeter sounds

About blowing speakers, just listen and don't drive them in to distortion. And don't send a cipping signal in to them! Keep your meters out of the red...
    Last edited by deflits980; 06-05-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Tech Guru

I would rate the Adam's way higher than the Pioneer's.

F7's should be more than loud enough for the room.

Tech Guru

I dunno. I just don't see much purpose in practicing with the monitors very loud. Bad for your hearing and to wear ear plugs at home seems silly (IMO).

I have my Mackie MR8 barely turned up and they are plenty loud. I wouldn't worry about blowing speakers as long as you're sensible about it. Just don't red line.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast