Question on song selection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Question on song selection.

Hi there,

I know this has been asked and talked about a hundred if not a thousand times. I did use the search button but I still have some trouble on song selection.

I've been mixing for about a year. Started out with Traktor and a Numark Mixtrack. Did not feel right and switched to Cdj's, Recently I got me some nice turntables!

The genre I'm mixing is Techno (Token, Ostgut-Ton, Dystopian and so on).

When it comes to selecting songs for your set, what are the key points you pay attention to? Or is it a feeling that comes with tons of practice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
    Jordi

Tech Guru

Listen to Steffi's mixes, she's an expert at song selection.

But to answer your questions, I'd say the most important features of a song are its intensity and its style.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for your reply DISaS73R!

Steffi is great! Love her Boiler Room set!

Might be fun to actually see my collection of 12''s.

http://www.discogs.com/user/jordi.veen/collection

I'm thinking/feeling that most of the Dystipian releases are a diffrent style than the other records I own. These are more ''collectors' items'' to me since I like Rodhad's sets and music.

Am I all over the place with my record collection or am I on the right track?

Tech Guru

Well, I wouldn't say there's such thing as right and wrong track when it comes to collections, but I definitely like some of the records that you have. My general approach to building my collection is to buy tunes that I like regardless of their style. This way I don't limit myself in any way, so my sets end up quite versatile. Obviously, this is a bit harder for you since you play vinyl, but I reckon it's worth it.

I got to see a 3-hour set by Steffi a couple of months ago, it was absolutely brilliant, you should definitely see her if you have the chance!

Tech Mentor

I would love, I mean really really love to go see her!

Haven't had the chance yet.

My findings are that collecting vinyl records is actually easier then digital files. Ok you have to go to a record store or discogs but you don't have to dig through so much crap as with digital!

Tech Guru

Well, I only go through whole labels' catalogues, so I don't have to go through that much crap haha. I was mostly referring to the financial side of things, though, vinyl is significantly more expensive.

Tech Guru

It takes time and money to build a diverse collection, but your definitely off to a good start.

I buy quite a bit each month, but I do buy all sorts, from disco edits / deep house / ambient / techno / acid all sorts basically.

Be selective, listen to it a lot before you buy, curating a collection of music you love will take a long time. Don't rush it.

You will feel more restricted at the beginning because you don't have much vinyl, but you will end up with more.

As for selecting tracks etc, feeling and knowing your music.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Thanks a lot guys!

And indeed, rather expensive hobby, purchasing a lot of vinyl.

But I'm satisfied with what I got at the moment and plan on not buying any new the coming months.

Besides costs... Knowing your music! this takes me a lot of time! So I feel my amount of records is more then enough at the moment.

Tech Guru

Yeah it is expensive, I've ran up a hefty bill over the past few weeks.

I'm still listening through to all the new bits that I've bought it can take a while, I try and give them a couple of listens and a play them out before they get organised on the shelf. That way I know I'll remember it, but also with vinyl you make a connection with cover/label etc.

I was in your position about 2 years ago when I started buying vinyl again, think I'm up to about 600 hundred now, but then I buy a lot. But I always find it hard not to buy new stuff.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Look locally for DJs selling their collections that have stuff along the lines of what you like - this is a great way to get the collection going.

But as Amadeus says...build based on tunes you love, regardless of genre, and with vinyl you really have to know your music.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast