have i lost it?

Thread: have i lost it?

Tech Convert

Default have i lost it?

i know people have spoken of going through that "dark phase" in the past with dj'ing. but recently i have found that i dislike everything ive been doing. nothing seems to sound good to me anymore and i lose interest so quickly into my set that i get lazy and start doing dumb things. its weird cause i get so pumped up to play but as soon as i get up there i just dont feel it. all my friends say nothing has changed, and i still got my old sound its just as good as always. but to me i just cant get into anything right now. i lost all my good vibes.
    anybody else get like this sometimes? im hoping it passes soon. i miss having fun behind the decks. genre change? equipment change? scene change? pull my guitars out for abit? any suggestions to get me out of my slump?

Tech Mentor

Maybe you can quit for a month? Take a break? And learn new equipment. That is always fun.

Sometimes you just need a bit of a break. Getting your guitar out is always a good idea (I always do this when I'm feeling a bit over it all, and in a few days/weeks I'm ready to mix again)
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Guru

Instead of djing listen to music, just sit there and listen to it, find the tracks that make you happy, get you moving.

I have a spin maybe once or twice a week, but I sit and listen to music everyday, I make a point of it, putting a record on and just listen.

I also produce, so spend most of my time out of work on that, and browsing for new records.

I used to use Traktor with timecode, to be honest when I switched back to pure vinyl I found myself enjoying playing again, I've now been strict vinyl for about 2 years now.

Just hang in there, chill, do what ever, DJing will always be there.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    find the tracks that make you happy, get you moving.
    Agreed, it gets boring when you do it just because people like it. You gotta play what you want to hear, before thinking what the crowd wants. Or else everybody will be having fun but you.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Mentor

+1 to "find the tracks that make you happy"

genre change sounds like a good idea, maybe click around on a music store listening to previews for a genre you don't normally listen to!

when I'm feeling burnt out, I turn to labels that make a lot of really unique music that may not fit in with my sets (Night Slugs for example) and listen to their stuff for inspiration.
    I play house music!
    http://tortango.com/

Tech Guru

Take a break! And finding tracks that you truly love will make it so much more enjoyable. I tried forcing out a set with songs that I only liked hearing once (discovered this quickly during practice) and the mix was pretty awful compared to a new set which I really like. I actually think the transitions are indicative of how much I like the songs.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

listen and mix music you like and not whats popular. you gotta please yourself. learn new mixing techniques. learn to scratch, learn new software. i dont think all djs mastered the art of djing.

I recently left my plug that connects my phone to my car stereo in a rental car and was "forced" to listen to the radio. Even though I have Sirius, I don't like the dance stations they have and was "forced" to listen to other music. I couldn't believe how refreshing it was as for almost the last year I've listened almost exclusively to stuff I've done or downloaded. It was nice to hear alternative, classic hip hop and...jazz! Some jazz is just so damn cool.

I've also gotten back into seriously playing the piano along with production which is always nice. If you play an instrument...whip it out along with some songs you love(d) playing. I'm currently going through a jazz fake book as time allows. Not only do these other genres sound refreshing, they also give me ideas on production/mixing.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I recently left my plug that connects my phone to my car stereo in a rental car and was "forced" to listen to the radio. Even though I have Sirius, I don't like the dance stations they have and was "forced" to listen to other music. I couldn't believe how refreshing it was as for almost the last year I've listened almost exclusively to stuff I've done or downloaded. It was nice to hear alternative, classic hip hop and...jazz! Some jazz is just so damn cool.

I've also gotten back into seriously playing the piano along with production which is always nice. If you play an instrument...whip it out along with some songs you love(d) playing. I'm currently going through a jazz fake book as time allows. Not only do these other genres sound refreshing, they also give me ideas on production/mixing.
    +1 on the jazz, If I'm not listening to house and I just wanna chill, Jazz is what goes on, I can sit and listen to it for hours, it's pretty much the only thing that gets played on the HiFi, well that and some classic hip-hop. There's so much good music out there, check out Sonny Rollins, Dave Brubeck Quartet, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Dexter Gordon.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact