Using of effects
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using of effects

Hello fellow DJs, I'm actually quite new in djing and I need some help on understanding of the using of effects. Like, when should I use it and what kind of effects are normally used?

Tech Wizard

listen to your favorite dj mixes and listen in the track where they use effects. use effects in transitions, building ups, create a mood, get creative, remix a track, test out all the effects that your software and mixer, use the ones you like. experiment effect combos

Thanks alot and I was wondering in a dj competition, what actually do the DJs does ?

i think before you already get into the effects, drop that and dont try to rush to the ENDS of big performace.
    Instead right now since you are still very new, stay focused on making your mixes exciting WITHOUT effects
    which is very possible to do
    It seems that from your question above, that you still have A LOT of your music that you need to know.

Tech Guru

I personally rarely ever use effects. I think some genres are better with effects while others don't play nicely with effects (IMO). I only use filter during transitions, but that's because I can't figure out how to use my mixer's echo at all. Otherwise, I would use that as well. Delay is always fun to use every now and then too.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

How much and is it relevant to salt a dish?
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by yang View Post
    I'm actually quite new in djing and I need some help on understanding of the using of effects.
    forget about effects for the time being. they are just a distraction.
    focus on how you can mix/blend tracks together without any effects - it'll make you a better dj.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bob View Post
    forget about effects for the time being. they are just a distraction.
    focus on how you can mix/blend tracks together without any effects - it'll make you a better dj.
    +1 .. if you are new, learn how to mix without any effects. Concentrate on using the EQ properly to blend, swap baselines, filter in vocals and cut your tracks at the right point.

If you want to experiment start with the filter with the use of effects to bring tracks together and create your own builds - but like anything else, too much is a bad thing.

Timing and structure are wayyyyyy more important than any effect you can possibly throw in a mix.

Tech Mentor

Probably the first three effects DJ use is Filter, Delay and Reverb. But as said before, used sparingly or else it gets rather annoying to listeners.

yea and keep away from those self dj tags (shouts) that announce your name over and over again in the mix. i hate that.
    Do it once in the begining. Maybe once in the middle and again in the end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast