MacBook Air with only 1 USB - Sound+Midi thru hub?

Default MacBook Air with only 1 USB - Sound+Midi thru hub?

Hi!

I've been offered a 2009 MacBook Air, but the problem is it only has 1 USB port. I use a USB soundcard (Audio 2 mk2) and 2 Midi controllers (Behringer CMD PL1 and DC1) so it looks like a USB hub is the only option.

I know the standard advice is to never run a soundcard through a USB hub, but has anyone successfully done it? If so which hub did you use? And I'm right in thinking there's no other alternative? The MBA looks pretty short on any sort of expansion/other connectors...

Cheers!

Tech Wizard

I've tried Audio 2 Mk2 through CMD MM-1's hub and that worked well, no dropouts and no compromises with latency (17ms, same I use when running straight from computer). Probably any powered USB2/USB3 hub should be okay.

I had MM-1 in USB2 port and in MM-1's hub I had X1 Mk2, F1, PL-1 and Audio 2 plugged in and in use and as I said, no dropouts. I guess USB2 has enough bandwidth for four controllers and one audio interface Usually I plug Audio 2 straight into my computer, but I just wanted to try and plug everything in one hub.

This was on Windows computer, though
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Tech Mentor

If it's the first generation MacBook Air (& I think it probably is, if it has one USB port), I wouldn't touch it.

Compared to the current / recent machines, they're very very underpowered..
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by thisisian View Post
    Compared to the current / recent machines, they're very very underpowered..
    Not just underpowered. The Hard disk was a 4800 rpm 1.8 inch spinning platter type.

Unless you are getting it for pittance (e.g. <$200 or something)and just plan on using it to check mail mostly I would not bother it'll break your heart - honestly.

If you are intent on trying to use it, pick up a powered hub and your problems are solved anyhow - even on an unpowered hub I never had dropouts on my Macbook pro even with other controllers connected (APC40 & NanoKontrol).

I've had a 2011 MacBook Air 13" from new and recently gave it to the misses when I got a current Retina MacBook Pro 13" ... But with the USB3 issues I picked up a 2011 MacBook Air 11" for (AU) $500 so that I had a computer with USB2 to fall back on and to be honest, I really like using it!

I use it with a Logitech Premium hub to split to a pair of X1mk2, F1 and whatever mixer I'm using (normally DJM850 or DB2), I like to keep the other built in USB free for a hard drive or Maschine controller. Either way, using a hub with your soundcard is not an issue these days, but I too wouldn't really recommend the earliest Airs although the 2011 model certainly ticks all of the boxes.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Moved to hardware forum.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Thanks for all the replies!

I think it's about the third gen, 2.1 Ghz Core2Duo / 2GB / 128GB SSD (http://support.apple.com/kb/sp548). So not amazing at all, but I've been using a windows laptop with a 2.1 Ghz AMD for the past 4 years without any problems, so I figure the macbook will give as good/better performance. Plus it's half the weight... a big plus cause I live in tokyo and take the train to gigs!

Sounds like running everything through a powered hub should work though, and as it is less than 200 USD think I'll give it a go. Cheap way to find out if I like macs or not anyway. I've got a MM-1 actually but usually don't take it out with me cause prefer using the clubs' mixers (plus it's extra weight to carry), will pick up a powered hub and see how it goes.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Edit - Didn't see its potentially got an SSD

It should be fast enough for most tasks, just make sure before you buy it or it'll be sluggish as hell for anything more than word processing (even youtube videos will be slow!)
    Last edited by deevey; 06-10-2014 at 01:54 AM.