Want to start producing/mixing music - What should I choose?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want to start producing/mixing music - What should I choose?

As the title says, I want to start producing/mixing music. I realized a long time ago that if I just mix others music I won't really get anywhere (so there should also be some producing involved). The problem I have is that I don't know with what should I start. Right now I have nothing. No MIDI Controller. No DJ Controller. No nothing. Just my computer.
    I want to get a Numark Mixtrack Pro Quad (great deal in my country, cheaper than the normal mixtrack pro) but I don't know if that is the right choice. I really like the idea of mixing tracks and what not but if I was to get a keyboard it would let me learn so much more things...

TL;DR What should I choose - DJ Controller or MIDI Keyboard?

Why would you need a DJ controller or a Numark Mixtrack Pro Quad to produce? DJing and producing is 2 different things....

Quote Originally Posted by robbyluca View Post
    Why would you need a DJ controller or a Numark Mixtrack Pro Quad to produce? DJing and producing is 2 different things....
    What should I choose - DJ Controller or MIDI Keyboard?
    Look, the thing is that I mainly want to dj but I said that I think that w/o producing music (so just mixing other people's music) I won't get anyhere (because anyone can do that) so I also want to produce some music. I just don't know what to buy first...

If you want to produce get a Mashine, lots of producers use it.

Why don't you start with software, since you'll need that no matter what. The software you choose may help you pick the DJ and MIDI controller you use later. Ableton Live would allow you to both produce and "DJ mix"
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Wizard

for starters you need music producing software, ableton live 9 is on sale 30% off until june 13th.

I already got abelton live 9 (and I use it for finger drumming w/ my keyboard).

Tech Mentor

Ableton 9 or Logic Pro 10 which is considerably cheaper. Worth checking out Bitwig too. Friend of mine swears by the Aira TR-8 for beats.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpotatoes View Post
    As the title says, I want to start producing/mixing music. I realized a long time ago that if I just mix others music I won't really get anywhere (so there should also be some producing involved). The problem I have is that I don't know with what should I start. Right now I have nothing. No MIDI Controller. No DJ Controller. No nothing. Just my computer.
    I want to get a Numark Mixtrack Pro Quad (great deal in my country, cheaper than the normal mixtrack pro) but I don't know if that is the right choice. I really like the idea of mixing tracks and what not but if I was to get a keyboard it would let me learn so much more things...

TL;DR What should I choose - DJ Controller or MIDI Keyboard?
    oh iphone also has a cheap app like imaschine, its a drum machine on your phone, create beats with tons of sounds (you can buy new sounds on itunes for 99 cents ea), loop and upload to soundcloud.com. you can practice making beats for fun to see if making beats is right for you before you buy expensive software and gear.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpotatoes View Post
    I already got abelton live 9 (and I use it for finger drumming w/ my keyboard).
    If you already have Ableton Live then you're good to go playboy! I would get a keyboard controller or maybe an APC40.
    Last edited by Chris Macom; 06-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast