Upgrading my Decks from S2...and I need your help!
    Tech Convert

Default Upgrading my Decks from S2...and I need your help!

Hello, I'm looking to upgrade from my Kontrol S2 which has been destroyed (long and very frustrating story).

Firstly, I had a look around and it seems that this would be the right forum for this thread, but if not, could a mod please move it?

My mixing style
    Bedroom. Occasional house party. Dream to be a pro, but unlikely with my current schedule.
    S2 was my first controller, been mixing about 18 months. Generally at least 4-5 hours a week, but usually more like 10.
    I mix all music, from old school hip-hop to all flavours of house, trance, DnB, pop
    Traktor Pro 2
    I use around 9 FX in TP2 frequently in my mix, but mapped in chain mode.
    I also extensively use echo mod and JogFX.
    I cue and loop a lot (ofc).
    I do a lot of mashups and love playing with acapellas and instrumentals on the fly.
    Have F1, but mostly used to trigger cues and filters. Want to start using it more for FX and Remix Decks.
    Love scratching, but very little experience using real vinyl.
    Digital all the way. Don't mind USB, but not a fan of CDs or vinyl ('cept timecode ofc).
    I aim to be like Mark Ronson/A-Trak (one day )

What I think I need
    TP2 compatible
    4 decks: 2 is getting limited very quickly for some things I want to try
    Full control over 3-6 FX in chain mode (hopefully mappable)
    Ability to scratch

Budget: Around $1000 USD. Saved for a year. I would have more but I can't sell my broken S2 of course...

Ideas
    Used Z2+ 1200s/1210s for DVS
    S4....then eventually add decks for DVS
    A non-NI mixer (Behringer? Denon?) + turntables (Vestax/Numark/Gemini/Denon/Stanton?) + sound card
    Something awesome you guys suggest

Thanks for all your help!

A good midi capable real mixer and 2 x1's is a mean setup, you can always add some turntables later .
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    A good midi capable real mixer and 2 x1's is a mean setup, you can always add some turntables later .
    Any suggestions for a mixer?
    Also I'm guessing I'd just be using the X1s for effects only?

Moved to hardware forum.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

with a mixer/ x1 setup the x1's are your transport controls, and effects if you prefer the traktor ones over the hardware versions.
    speaking for myself, i am super happy with my x1600, its a badass hardware mixer (scratch certified), with an excellent soundcard and a lot of midi implementation to boot. you can use a mix of hardware, midi mixing at the flick of a button and map pretty much every button on it to your liking.
    Last edited by Jester; 06-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    with a mixer/ x1 setup the x1's are your transport controls, and effects if you prefer the traktor ones over the hardware versions.
    speaking for myself, i am super happy with my x1600 trees badass hardware mixer (scratch certified), with acellent soundcard and a lot of midi implementation to boot. you can use a mix of hardware, midi mixing at the flick of a button and map pretty much every button on it to your liking.
    OK got it. An X1 is an easy addition.

I've checked out the x1600 and it looks like it has absolutely everything I need... Except an affordable price. I could pick up a Behringer ddm4000 and a pair of 1200s for the price of an x1600 alone. Do you think it's worth splashing the cash for my purposes?