Macbook Pro or Windows laptop? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    Lmao

Good, i'm glad i could help you sort out your needs there

LOL i was assuming (obviously wrongly) that like most people who do this professionally you were gonna get a laptop specifically for DJing and in order to keep it nice and clean and not mess up settings or create conflicts or problems that may crop up and affect your income you wouldn't be putting much if any other software or stuff on it.

k
    I use two methods for keeping my stuff clean... 1. Dual boot into either a dedicated Traktor partition or the Everything Else partition; 2. Don't install anything not directly required by traktor and remove everything not required.

m.

ps. I'm not sure how much this is contributing to the original mac vs win discussion tho (:
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylozen View Post
    I do have a life outside of djing...
    I dont... 6 nites a week at the moment. Tired and confused !!!

My new Macbook Pro arrives on wednesday.

Tech Mentor

With an i7, you could probably get away with integrating Ableton and Traktor on the same laptop. Now /that/ would be cool.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Tech Mentor

sry, havent read all the preceding posts.
    i went the windows laptop route myself having used a 15" pimped mbp a couple of times. i went with a lenovo business laptop, since they're really sturdy! hell, you can even pour a drink on the keypad and it doesnt take any damage.
    sure, it took a little more time to set up the system, but it was worth every second. running traktor as shell on a second partition (read all about it in the windows streamlining blog post on here) and my latency has dropped to an all time low! 1.5ms with my denon dn-hs5500 and its never failed me.

theres one thing i'm missing on my machine though. a backlit keyboard.
    Stanton SCS3 System

Tech Guru

After nearly having my MBP die on me due to a logic board failure (which was under warranty due to a recall with graphics card) and looking to buy another Mac I'd suggest buy one, but not from apple. Hop onto ebay and you can get sick deals on them. Great computers but wouldn't buy them new way too high. The great thing is that even models that are 2 years old run like a brand new machine.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    The great thing is that even models that are 2 years old run like a brand new machine.
    I have an original PowerMac G4 from 1999 with 350 MHz of processor power and a minor RAM boost that can still run quite well. I recall doing live, 13-channel mashup mixing on it with no problems.

That's the thing about Macs, they retain their value really well, whereas even some of the best PCs really don't have very good value-retention.

Tech Wizard
    Currently, San Antonio, TX the city of lost causes.

coincidentally, I am in the market for a new laptop to beef up my VCI-100/Traktor, moving from my older Toshiba Satellite (using XP and Intel Centrino Duo)!

I have done much research considering budget, ports, processor speed, portability & durability comparing: Apple Macbook Pro, Dell 14z, (2) Toshiba Satellite models, HP dv3t, and the Lenovo Thinkpad T400.
    I found spec wise, Lenovo Thinkpad would best suit my needs with the added benefit of rugged durability and its ability to remain relatively cool and quiet which is important for obvious reasons.

I think it is best for the OP to find their current and future needs before investing $$$ in a new laptop. In fact, I was going to wait until next year to purchase a new laptop due to the promise of USB 3.0, however, an article came out earlier this week stating that Intel would not implement this tech until 2011!

For myself I am interested in the speed of eSATA connections for external hard drives, and I also still need a Firewire connection because of my current soundcard (Echo Audiofire 4). I must admit that I enjoy the sleekness of Apple, but spec for spec, I am going to be purchasing the Lenovo.

I must add also, that the recent Windows 7 release and countless of computer geek friends (a couple who beta-tested it months ago) giving me their seal of approval regarding its stability and efficiency (as opposed to Vista's) has also influenced my final decision to remain PC. I will give everyone a follow-up once I receive my new laptop. But, more than anything, do a cost/benefit program, read reviews, and try out the laptop before you buy making sure it is compatible with YOUR current and future uses. Good luck!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234