Macbook Pro or Windows laptop? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxone View Post
    Windows 7 out today too... Windows 7 is supposed to be alright (basically, as I understand it, and i could be wrong, they've copied under the hood of Mac OSX)

I'm a macboy all the way but i use it for a lot more than djing. I had a mare with my PC laptop - not recognising hardware, having to reinstall a lot of software...

That was 5 years ago to be fair.

I hate Vista myself too. Just a RAM gobbler. But Windows 7 could change things... although it could just end up being a load of old gash!

I'd say MBP but that's personal opionion... I'm pretty over the Mac vs PC debate
    I've been running win7 at work for a couple of weeks... It's solid so far. In general, people around teh interwebs seem to be cautiously optimistic. win7 is apparently what vista should have been..

m.
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

Windows 7 out today too... Windows 7 is supposed to be alright (basically, as I understand it, and i could be wrong, they've copied under the hood of Mac OSX)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LMAO, that's a fanboy statement if ever I've heard one! lol its pretty different under the hood, but is on par now with OSX, unlike vista which was a hurried and stripped down release that OSX pee'd all over They both have their own way of doing things, and although I use both i much prefer the way windows and w7 specifically works.

I've been using windows 7 on all my PC's (my main general PC, my pro-tools recording rig and my PC lappy) with no problems at all, and everything works awesome totally customisable.

But in saying all that, I still say a MBP for DJing and Traktor. You dont want a laptop that'll do a million things and that you'll use for every task. You want one that will run one single program for one single task, and that will do it EVERY time; no fuss, no hassle, no messing with settings and customising everything. Just a solid platform so you can concentrate on the important part, the DJing itself.

And thats what a MBP will do.

k

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Im a Mac Fanboy... 100% Wouldnt have a PC laptop if was paid in fact id be pissed off if i found one [j/k]

I have just ordered a new Macbook Pro. Literally went to the store and ordered it half an hour ago.

Heres to having to do fuck all to make my laptop work other than turning it on just like the 3 years with my current Macbook Pro and the previous 2 years with my iBook.

No tweaks, no worrying , no pissing about with system resources, no money left but who cares id only spend it on Crack, Meth and Hookers anyway.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    No tweaks, no worrying , no pissing about with system resources, no money left but who cares id only spend it on Crack, Meth and Hookers anyway.
    Nothing like trading one form of retail therapy for another.

At least ours doesn't come with track marks and weird bumps on our naughty places.

And yes, I called them "naughty places".
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Sorry, but no, they have not and could not. OSx is a Unix complient OS based on work done by NeXT - using a hybrid kernel based on the Mach micro-kernel (which was developed at CMU). Windows 7 uses the next generation NT kernel (truly Kernel version 7, though internally its shows as 6.1).

One reason I am kind of keen on a MCP myself is I work with Unix based operating systems in my job all the time
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Tech Mentor

Okay: to the guy wondering about the similarily priced mac with a core 2 duo vs the windows i7:

the i7 is a quad core processor with hyper-treading. that means you get 8 processing threads. EIGHT. The core 2 gets TWO.

If you /really/ want the mac OS, just buy it separate and put it on the other machine.

EDIT: Also: windows 7 didn't copy Mac OSX 'under the hood' because OSX is just a extra pretty unix distribution with a bunch of the options and user-configurability disabled so people are less likey to muck it up.
    Last edited by Segfault; 10-22-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Okay: to the guy wondering about the similarily priced mac with a core 2 duo vs the windows i7:

the i7 is a quad core processor with hyper-treading. that means you get 8 processing threads. EIGHT. The core 2 gets TWO.
    I knew the i7 would run circles around the mac... didn't realize it was quad core, hyperthreading tho. Nice (:

m.

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post

If you /really/ want the mac OS, just buy it separate and put it on the other machine.

EDIT: Also: windows 7 didn't copy Mac OSX 'under the hood' because OSX is just a extra pretty unix distribution with a bunch of the options and user-configurability disabled so people are less likey to muck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by psylozen View Post
    I knew the i7 would run circles around the mac... didn't realize it was quad core, hyperthreading tho. Nice (:

m.

LOL, yes the i7 is a hugely powerful processor, but this is irrelivent.

It goes back to if you were going to be using the lappy for an every day machine that you done loads with and wanted to use lots of different software on, then the i7 is a brilliant processor.

But thats not how your going to be using this laptop. You're going to be using it to DJ, which a dual core processor is more than capable of handling. So instead of your dual core processor sitting at about 90% idle, you're just be swapping it for an i7 sitting at 99% idle.

And just putting Mac OS on a windows machine "if you really want to use OSX" as suggested isn't gonna help any either. You're not paying the extra for OSX itself, you're paying the extra for the integration of OSX with the hardware, and the tightly controlled drivers and component selection that mac have made.

The stability mac's have comes not from OSX itself cos it has just as many flaws and bugs as windows, it comes from Apple having a tightly controlled set of components in their equipment, and then spending a long time testing and testing and testing everything until they have a set of drivers, software and hardware that is all matched up together.

Just putting OSX on a platform that doesn't have the same chipsets/components as the computer it was designed for puts you right back into the position of having to find drivers and get everything to work together and defeats the purpose.

I'm about an 80% windows user and a 20% mac user, but overall i'm a "right tool for the right job" user and a "what ever gives me the result i'm looking for" user and in this case IMHO, a mac is the right tool for the job.

k
    Last edited by kevinmcdonough; 10-23-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmcdonough View Post
    But thats not how your going to be using this laptop.
    It isn't? Oh, good (: I coulda sworn I was planning to use this laptop to do more than just DJ. Like producing music, doing video work, maybe even branch off into mixing in surround sound...

But thank you for clearing up my needs for me, I've just saved two and a half grand (;

You're going to be using it to DJ, which a dual core processor is more than capable of handling. So instead of your dual core processor sitting at about 90% idle, you're gonna have an i7 sitting at 99% idle.
    All the more power for it to do other stuff

And just putting Mac OS on a windows machine "if you really want to use OSX" as suggested isn't gonna help any either. You're not paying the extra for OSX itself, you're paying the extra for the integration of OSX with the hardware, and the tightly controlled drivers and component selection that mac have made.

The stability mac's have comes not from OSX itself cos it has just as many flaws and bugs as windows, it comes from Apple having a tightly controlled set of components in their equipment, and then spending a long time testing and testing and testing everything until they have a set of drivers, software and hardware that is all matched up together.

Just putting OSX on a platform that doesn't have the same chipsets/components as the computer it was designed for puts you right back into the position of having to find drivers and get everything to work together and defeats the purpose.
    Yeah, osx on non-mac hardware just seems silly to me... Nothing sez stable like running software on hardware it wasn't designed for.

But overall I think I'm fairly settled on the i7 laptop... I do have a life outside of djing... unfortunately...

m.

Lmao

Good, i'm glad i could help you sort out your needs there

LOL i was assuming (obviously wrongly) that like most people who do this professionally you were gonna get a laptop specifically for DJing and in order to keep it nice and clean and not mess up settings or create conflicts or problems that may crop up and affect your income you wouldn't be putting much if any other software or stuff on it.

lol and in any case my post was more directed at the original poster. I hadn't taken the time to read over the thread all the way through and realise you had partially hijacked it with your own question on mac vs PC, which was obviously my bad!

k
    Last edited by kevinmcdonough; 10-23-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast