Twister sequencer and Propellerhead Reason?

Default Twister sequencer and Propellerhead Reason?

Hey all,

So, here's a confession: I've never really learned to use Ableton. I've been producing with Reason for over a decade and I've always been too busy, lazy and broke to learn/pay for a whole new DAW.

Using the Twister sequencer in Traktor is great fun, but I'd prefer a greater level of sonic control: has anyone had any luck syncing the sequencer up to a recent version of Reason?

I've tried to send midi clock out from Reason but Midi Monitor shows nothing going in that direction. That seems like the first step, but no luck so far.

Any help appreciated!

Best
    Ibrahim

I'm in a similar boat. Been using Reason for almost a decade now...I just like hte work flow associated with it. I just got my Twister on Saturday and after playing with it in Traktor for a bit, decided to try my hand at it for Reason to absolutely no results thus far.

More than anything I'm curious about the sequencer and how it works. Is there anyway to get it to work with Kong? I figure that I can use the MIDI Mapper mode built into the Twister along with Reason Remote settings to get the Twister to work as a physical interface for say Thor, but I'm very interested in 'Dat Sequencer'.
    - Unreall

Quote Originally Posted by Unreallystic View Post
    I'm in a similar boat. Been using Reason for almost a decade now...I just like hte work flow associated with it. I just got my Twister on Saturday and after playing with it in Traktor for a bit, decided to try my hand at it for Reason to absolutely no results thus far.

More than anything I'm curious about the sequencer and how it works. Is there anyway to get it to work with Kong? I figure that I can use the MIDI Mapper mode built into the Twister along with Reason Remote settings to get the Twister to work as a physical interface for say Thor, but I'm very interested in 'Dat Sequencer'.
    - Unreall
    It's the sequencer that's been troubling me too; using the Twister for other devices seems relatively simple in controller override mode (or whatever it's called; not in front of my Reason machine). I did get the sequencer sort-of working with Kong last night by doing the following things:

1) start Traktor with all Ean's sequencer mappings loaded
    2) Twister into sequencer mode
    3) start relevant remix deck (at this point the timing indicator starts moving in Twister's pattern edit mode)
    4) start Reason
    5) tell Reason to start sending midi clock to Twister (setup the clock in the preferences, and then there's a menu item to actually start sending the clock messages)

And then Reason's clock overrides Traktor's, and you can close Traktor and everything keeps working; the first three rows of the sequencer play with Kong perfectly though the last row (filter in Traktor) has some unpredictable mappings.

It feels like the key step is number 3; like maybe Reason isn't sending a "start" message.

Any ideas?

Ah, Matias from DJTT support has just got back to me with what I was missing: the top right side button on the Twister kicks off the sequence. So the process is (quoting Matias):

1) With your Twister connected go to Reason's preferences
    2) Navigate to the Control Surface tab
    3) Click on Add > Other > MIDI Control Keyboard and select your Twister as MIDI Input before you press the OK button.
    4) Navigate to the Sync Tab and select Twister as Output in the MIDI Clock Settings section.
    5) Close the preferences window
    6) Click on the Options Toolbar and enable Sync > Send MIDI Clock (This might have been what you missed)
    7) With the playback running on your session press the top right button on your Twister while you are in the sequencer layer (hold down the two middle side buttons)
    8) Add any sample based instrument such as kong as enable it's recording, it should be working by now.

I haven't tried that yet but it's the top right button I wasn't doing. Really looking forward to trying it.