Types of weights for your turntables for scratching etc ?
    Tech Mentor

Default Types of weights for your turntables for scratching etc ?

so today I got a pair of technics 1210 mk2 for 200£ in cash generator which im really happy about but I was telling then man I just started scratching and beat juggling and he said you need to special weights it will help me alot what are these weights he is talking about
    ????

Tech Guru

First off amazing price if you bought a pair of 1210's for 200 quid?!

You can get record weights but can't see these helping scratching, he may mean head shell weights?
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    First off amazing price if you bought a pair of 1210's for 200 quid?!

You can get record weights but can't see these helping scratching, he may mean head shell weights?
    yes I know its funny becuase the day before I was stressing about getting tecnics then I wwalk into cash generator and he told me there was a pair downstairs for 200£ i couldnt believe it 6 months warranty and 12 weeks to pay it lol buzzing im not sure myabe he was onabout the head shells

Yeah, that's a helluva price, especially if they're in good working order.

I think he meant on the headshells. My buddy in college used to tape coins to his headshells in order to keep the needle in contact with the record when scratching/beat juggling. I've read elsewhere that's not exactly the best idea due to record/needle wear.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Depending on your cartridge, you don't need any additional wights - ESPECIALLY at the headshell end. To much weight over the stylus will tear up your records.

If you have HEAVY carts, you might need additional counterbalance weights. They screw into the back of the tonearm, BEHIND the standard tonearm weight, and actually make the weight at the headshell end of the tonearm LIGHTER.

It looks like this:
    $_35.JPG

You don't need it unless you have heavy carts.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Depending on your cartridge, you don't need any additional wights - ESPECIALLY at the headshell end. To much weight over the stylus will tear up your records.

If you have HEAVY carts, you might need additional counterbalance weights. They screw into the back of the tonearm, BEHIND the standard tonearm weight, and actually make the weight at the headshell end of the tonearm LIGHTER.

It looks like this:
    $_35.JPG

You don't need it unless you have heavy carts.
    So im guessing I wont need them with blue concords then

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raver Ste View Post
    so today I got a pair of technics 1210 mk2 for 200£ in cash generator which im really happy about but I was telling then man I just started scratching and beat juggling and he said you need to special weights it will help me alot what are these weights he is talking about
    ????
    I would not take advice from someone in Cash Generator on anything, not even on where the nearest Cash Generator was.

You don't put anything on decent carts. People used to put 5ps (or cents) on Technics shells if you had Stanton500's on them as they could bobble about. Those days are over in fact I use to put a blob of blu-tac on them instead of coins.

You can get better carts for scatching than concords but you defo should not put anything on them.

Tech Mentor

shure m44-7, don't even think about any other cartridge, it sticks to the Grooves like glue. I don't even know why anyone even recommends concords anymore, I have a pair of black concordes and they just sit around doing collecting dust as they skip like hell.

I couldn't agree more. I have Shure M44-7s on my SL1210s and I set them up exactly as described (no extra weights required) and they have never ever missed a groove.

They are worth every penny!

Funny thing though my 3rd set of SL1210s that I have now were from a Cash Converters and I also paid £200!! They have been completely stripped and re-conditioned now though.
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions