Should i buy the Kontrol S4 MK2? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

I recently purchased an s4 mk2. No freezing issues whatsoever. From my readings it mostly happened on MBP retinas.

Tech Convert

Barely used my original S4 and just after my 1 year warranty was up, Deck A fader busted. And that's common, from what i've been hearing lately.

Got an s4 and while it lets you use most features - to control the remix decks properly an f1 is essential (I recently added one to my set up). If u fancy something different going down the modular route is a good option as you can add/remove units as you desire. The touch strips work really well replacing not only pitch bend but are good for adjusting loop sizes and even performing spin backs (although if u stratch jog wheels can't really be beaten unless your using vinyl). F1 work great with remix decks and can't really be beaten (I've mapped my maschine to do this and ended up preferring the F1). I would also say that having the ability to download or even map the units yourself is a great function. I know you mention you weren't really into that but honestly having the ability to control the units in pretty much any way you like is a great tool and something that once you get your head round is pretty easy.
    DJ, Producer, Radio Presenter & Tutor
    Win8 64bit / TP2.6.8 / Ableton / Maschine
    S4 / X1 / F1 / Z1 / Maschine Mikro / Midi Fighter Twister / Akai Mini Mk2 / Boss FS-5U
    Twitter: @joegrime
    www.soundcloud.com/joegrime // www.mixcloud.com/joegrime

I started out with an S4. It's an amazing piece of hardware and gives you hands on control for nearly all of Traktor's functions. Now I use two X1's with a DJM, just like Felix does in his NI video. It's an awesome setup because most clubs around here use a DJM 900. If I want to use Traktor instead of CDJ's I can just bring my two small controllers and plug right in while still using the house mixer. The X1's give you almost all of Traktor's functions as well. However, neither the S4 or the X1 will give you full control for the remix decks unless you have a mapping. You'll need an F1 if you want to plug & play.

An alternative is to just use your Maschine to control the remix decks. I'm a huge fan of Maschine; I think it's a great tool for both production and live performance. I use my MK2 for live samples and loops sent through one of my decks. It's an awesome reaction from the crowd when you're playing someone's favorite tune and then start finger drumming on a colorful Maschine, remixing it on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tufted Deer View Post
    I know i could map the maschine to do the job, but i'm not into that.
    You don't have to map it yourself, NI has a pre-made mapping for you. Go into your Native Instruments Controller Editor. On the top left corner of the page there's a drop down window, choose "Maschine Controller MK2" as your controller. On the right side under "Templates" you should see two more drop down windows: "Edit" and "Factory Templates." Click "Factory Templates" and select "Maschine MK2 Remix Decks." It should now be added to your Templates list. This means the template should now be stored into your Maschine.

Once you open Traktor, press "Shift + Control" on your Maschine to enter MIDI mode. If you hold "Shift" again, you can use the right and left arrows on your Maschine (under the browse and sampling buttons) to scroll through all of the Templates you've saved. Just choose "Maschine MK2 Remix Decks" and you're all set to control. You might want to refer back to the Controller Editor to check the mapping and see which functions do what.
    I knew a girl, who tried to walk across the lake.
    Of course it was winter, when all this was... Ice...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12