Importance of club music for the ladies - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    My wife said "anyone using that term in a thread about the supposed inherent sexism in music is probably a sexist themselves but they just don't realise it". I mean c'mon dude, you can't call women "honeys" and then expect to be taken seriously when you are addressing what you consider to be sexism.
    amen!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchwerks View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with that. L.I.E.S. are latecomers to the scene, and are more of a lo-fi techno/house/experimental label than anything that could be described as harder edged.

If you want to credit NYC, then credit Adam X and Frankie Bones for pushing that hard edged sound. Elsewhere you had Downwards and Sandwell District. And Surgeon. Biggest influence right now is Berghain sound, labels such as Ostgut Ton, Token, Stroboscopic Artefacts, etc. All of those are pushing a way harder edged sound and have been doing it for far longer. The majority of what L.I.E.S puts out sounds like unfinished demo tracks, or it's just shoegazing noise like Torn Hawk. The gems like the new Voiski or Steve Moore's releases are few and far inbetween, and those aren't really gritty at all; they're retro.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against L.I.E.S., but I really wish they would get some quality control (and that goes for all of the lo-fi labels pumping out endless amounts of releases right now.)
    Funny you should mention Adam X, he has a release coming out on LIES soon.

I know there are plenty of hard labels, thats a given, Berghain sound has been around for a long time, but I dont think you can compare the two, they are in two very different places.

When I was Talking about LIES etc I was talking about the move
    "back to using analogue gear, experimentation, and not everything sounding crispy clear."
    I don't like a lot of the output from LIES, to me it also sounds unfinished, and a bit for the sake of it.

Their sister label Russian Torrent Versions has had stronger output in my opinion.

But I do think that a lot of these labels have contributed a lot to the sound in the last few years, and certainly towards a "grittier" sound.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos
    I mean c'mon dude, you can't call women "honeys" and then expect to be taken seriously when you are addressing what you consider to be sexism.

I thought bitchez loved being called honeyz???

Remember, kids - sexism isn't cool...

brent.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    what about dorsal?
    Dorsal sounds fishy.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    When I was Talking about LIES etc I was talking about the move
    "back to using analogue gear, experimentation, and not everything sounding crispy clear."
    I don't like a lot of the output from LIES, to me it also sounds unfinished, and a bit for the sake of it.

Their sister label Russian Torrent Versions has had stronger output in my opinion.

But I do think that a lot of these labels have contributed a lot to the sound in the last few years, and certainly towards a "grittier" sound.
    L.I.E.S. has definitely popularized the lo-fi sound as of late. I can certainly agree with you there as well as the opinion that a lot of it sounds unfinished.

I hate to comment on other people's likes of music...

But I just listened to L.I.E.S. soundcloud stream and can't help but wonder what happened to the "dance" in "dance music"...

(I am really not trying to be a troll or pick a fight)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

But I just listened to L.I.E.S. soundcloud stream and can't help but wonder what happened to the "dance" in "dance music"...

Not everyone's taste Keithace, that's cool, each to their own and all. But there are some killer one's on LIES, Greg Beato, early Florian Kupfer and Terreke are the ones to check.

A lot of LIES' output lies at the more experimental side, not really for the floor.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Nah, that's not picking a fight, that's a highly accurate assessment of most of their output.

As amadeus says, there are a few gems on there, but it's mostly experimental.

I don't like the majority of what they put out. Just the (very) old school style techno/house/electro tracks.

maybe we are bringing light to the OP's original uneloquated post. Why are they playing boring ass experimental techno at pool parties? or maybe his point was "why is any time a good time for peak time?"
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

maybe we are bringing light to the OP's original uneloquated post. Why are they playing boring ass experimental techno at pool parties? or maybe his point was "why is any time a good time for peak time?"
    I still don't know why the OP used Hawtin and Kraviz as an example, like there both gonna break out some soulful house. Hawtin plays boring ass minimal techno bollox and Kraviz plays techno/acid, and thats what they are known for.

If you were at the video's the OP posted you would of known what to expect, not be like "why's Hawtin playing Techno?"

I've actually forgotten now what the original post was about...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast