Mac versus PC....Need More Info
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mac versus PC....Need More Info

So I hear that everyone is recommending the Mac over a PC because they are more stable and durable, but can someone tell me would upgrading to a Mac help in my Traktor software freezing problems? I currently have a HP DV laptop with an I3 processor and the last few gigs Traktor has been freezing. Ive always heard Macs are better, but would a Mac prevent this problem??

I own the baseline MacBook Pro 13" from mid-2012 (the last of the non-retina books) and it runs Traktor and my visual software with no issues.

EDIT: inb4 someone calls out the stats in my signature, I HAVE upgraded it since.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Considering that an i3 processer is baseline bottom for intel chips Id say thats your problem right there. How much ram do you have in your laptop the more the better is my motto. Figure if you want to run Tracktor trouble free double the reccomend specs, we all like to multitask :-)

REQUIREMENTS
    Windows 7 or 8 (latest Service Pack, 32/64 Bit), 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
    Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8 or 10.9 (latest update), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
    General: Monitor with 1024 x 768 screen resolution, USB 2.0, 1 GB free disc space, high-speed internet required

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Do a search for windows optimization before you start (yet another) Mac vs PC flame war

Your Computer should be well able to handle Traktor assuming its been set up correctly, however thats where the mac is "better", the software just "works" no tinkering when you take one out of the box and no need for optimization of the OS.

Tech Guru

^ And less chance of hardware problems with Audio devices/drivers, at least in my experience. If you want to save cash and don't mind the chance of having to spend some time troubleshooting go with a PC. If you would rather pay more and get a machine that has a very low chance of having issues with your audio software/hardware go the Mac route. I switched to a Macbook Pro 2 years ago and wouldn't go back unless I was building a Gaming PC and then I would have both.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Do a search for windows optimization before you start (yet another) Mac vs PC flame war

Your Computer should be well able to handle Traktor assuming its been set up correctly, however thats where the mac is "better", the software just "works" no tinkering when you take one out of the box and no need for optimization of the OS.
    Well that's my point, I'm not sure what PC would handle Traktor (spec wise). From what I'm hearing Mac will handle Traktor straight out the box, and that's what I need. If I'm going to spend more $$$ for a high end PC, might as well get the Mac if everyone's reviews are consistent to knowing for sure Mac will handle the job. Right?????

If you can afford a Mac, buy a Mac.

If you can't, buy the most powerful PC that you can, then do something (and this is free!) to make that PC perform as well as it possibly can. Learn how to optimise it for audio!!! It's a fundamental skill for working with audio. There are tons of step[-by-step guides online. It really is easy to find, and easy to learn.

Those are the options. If you're not capable of LEARNING how to optimise a PC, then digital DJ'ing is not for you. 'Cos you're gonna run into all kinds of problems (on Mac and PC) and if you're not able to handle them, you're gonna be left with expensive ornaments connected to your computer.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

I switched from Mac to PC after years and have to say the PC isn't much to mange but I do have a technical background.. I have had zero issues with the machine and it's bloody fast..

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    I switched from Mac to PC after years and have to say the PC isn't much to mange but I do have a technical background.. I have had zero issues with the machine and it's bloody fast..
    So you left behind the Mac and went to PC. That's rare isn't it. Lol. Seems like everyone shares by Mac. Lol. What spec do u have on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can afford a Mac, buy a Mac.

If you can't, buy the most powerful PC that you can, then do something (and this is free!) to make that PC perform as well as it possibly can. Learn how to optimise it for audio!!! It's a fundamental skill for working with audio. There are tons of step[-by-step guides online. It really is easy to find, and easy to learn.

Those are the options. If you're not capable of LEARNING how to optimise a PC, then digital DJ'ing is not for you. 'Cos you're gonna run into all kinds of problems (on Mac and PC) and if you're not able to handle them, you're gonna be left with expensive ornaments connected to your computer.
    I see what you saying Patch. I am very open to learning. I was jus seeking direction on what to do and I think this is very helpful information. I will search on first on how to optimize the PC I currently have to see if that helps my problem. I'll also research some other sites on how toboptimize. So thanks for at least helping me know where to start.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast