all-in-one controller for external mixing in traktor
    Tech Convert

Default all-in-one controller for external mixing in traktor

As the title says I'm looking for a controller that can work in external mixing mode with traktor. I will be using traktor but i would like to be able to mix externally. Currently I'm using 2 Reloop Contours and a standard mixer with soundcard but I'd like to have more mobile setup for the places without proper mixer. Also some buttons on contours are starting to fail.

I know that denon mc6000 mk1 has this feature. But I don't understand why it's absent in mk2 version.

What about Numark 4Trak? Does it work like this? Why is this impossible with Pioneer dj-sx eventhough it works as a standalone mixer?

Which other controllers supports external mixing in traktor (obviously all-in-one, not modular)?

Tnx in advance

Tech Guru

Why do you need external mixing if you are using Traktor?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

It's a personal preference. I just don't like traktor's eqing and gain staging. Don't want to go to the whole external/internal mixing debate, it's just the way I work and my preference. But I need your help to get more choices. If there are any...

As I understand you have 2 Reloop Contour Controller editions?

Get yourself one Reloop Contour Interface edition with the soundcard. Then you have 2 contours, with internal soundcard and can go to clubs uring the club mixer, as I do
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=66460

Last edited by feedbackl00p; 07-29-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Tech Mentor

I've been down this route before.
    I was finding the same as you, .....mixing externally just seemed to sound better. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but any EQing during mixing just sounded right, compared to mixing internally in traktor. Plus I agree with you about The way Traktor handles gain. Also I'm not a fan of the metering in Traktor.
    I think the mc6000 mk 1 is pretty much the only controller that does this. I owned one for a while, & that's exactly how I configured it.
    The other way to approach this is look for other controllers that have "proper" line inputs. (vestax 380 & 400 spring to mind). You'd probably have to use an external soundcard for the audio (cheap N.I. Audio 2 out of traktor then back in to the analogue inputs), but it would probably work.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Tech Convert

@djelton
    I have one Contour with sound card (interface edition) and I use both of them with the club's mixer. But for some venues I have to bring my own mixer (e.g.club mixer in bad condition or no mixer at all). And that's the second problem. Not only my Contours have some buttons worn out, my Ecler smac pro 20 is quite old (almost antique for dj equipment) and starting to show it's age. And summing all up it doesn't seem rational to buy a new mixer if I can have a mixer and controler all-in-one (ie.Denon mc6000). Plus both of my controllers are in seperate Reloop bags - not very mobile, not to mention hooking up all the cables..
    Don't get me wrong, Contours are great for everything except scratching, but if I am forced to replace them I wish to make a decicion based on all important factors. Btw, did you ever dissmantle your Countours and clean the contacts?

@feedbackl00p
    I don't want to use another sound card and route it to the controller inputs. I want a device that has a standalone mixer, onboard sound card and circuitry that allows Traktor external mixing. But it seems that only the old denon mc6000 and maybe a&h 4d would tick all the boxes.
    Yeah Nuo 2.0 is excellent, too bad I have a predecessor..

@thisisian
    Why did you sell your Denon controller?
    Yes,vci400 and NI audio kontrol 1 (which I also have) could work together nicely but again it's a bunch of wires...

Tech Guru

A guy here is selling replacement switches for the Contours if you want to go that route. Pretty easy from what I saw.

I had the Denon MC3000 (smaller version). It was a fantastic controller, but it's a very cramped setup. I thought I wouldn't mind since I have small hands, but really was quite annoying.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Mentor

Why did I sell my denon?
    A combination of reasons really.
    1. Too many buttons. I found that after a few months I was still "searching" for buttons. I wasn't using it enough for muscle memory to kick in, so decided to go for something simpler. Plus,increasingly I was feeling that control of 4 decks / channels in that smaller space was a compromise.
    2. I was starting to read a few horror stories about repairability of these units. Apparently they're a bit of a pain to work on if anything goes wrong. Mine was fine, but I decided to shift it before I had any issues.

I now use a VCI 380, with either Traktor or Serato. Yes you're mixing internally, but the sound card sounds lovely & most of the time it "feels" like a proper mixer.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS