How do I create this sound?

Default How do I create this sound?

I've been dabbling in production (purely for fun) and can't nail down how to make a particular sound that's prevalent in much of the music I listen to. How do you make those "stabby" lo-fi chords in the song below that start at 15 seconds in (another good example starts at 3:13)?

Here's the same type of sound from another artist (starts at the 28 second mark, but the best example is at 49 seconds):

I recently purchased Komplete, and now I have a ridiculous (and somewhat overwhelming) amount of sound resources, so I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that point me in the right direction!
    Last edited by jdownesbaird; 06-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Sounds like some simple minor chords fed into delay. The synth sound itself has a very short decay and release time along with a very fast attack time. The second example sounds like a lofi piano sound. Also, if you are using Ableton, you could just simply feed any percussive one-shot sample into the built in Resonator audio effect....the "Berlin" preset would probably be the closest to this sound

Quote Originally Posted by Rickvallone View Post
    Sounds like some simple minor chords fed into delay. The synth sound itself has a very short decay and release time along with a very fast attack time. The second example sounds like a lofi piano sound. Also, if you are using Ableton, you could just simply feed any percussive one-shot sample into the built in Resonator audio effect....the "Berlin" preset would probably be the closest to this sound
    Thanks so much for the help. I'm already getting some very usable sounds with your advice, and the "Berlin" preset is a great starting point. I appreciate it!

Tech Wizard

You could try using Ableton's operator to recreate the first sound; sounds like 1-2 oscillators of saw wave. You could also slightly detune the second oscillator, throw on a high pass filter, some reverb, and a little distortion (maybe even the "Berlin" Resonator?)

Thanks for the great tips. Putting them to good use.