Having usability issues on Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1
    Tech Wizard

Default Having usability issues on Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1

Hi community,

I am having some trouble figuring out and adjusting to this new hardware setup. I am moving from a MacBook Air running OPS X 10.9. Certain things that I have come to expect from that experience are not working in the new environment. I am hoping someone might be able to let me know if these are either problems that I just have to deal with or if there is some way to fix it.

The main issue I have is touchpad interaction within the software. While two finger scrolling works elsewhere in the Windows 8.1 environment (Explorer and IE for example) it doesn't do anything in Traktor. I can not scroll the browser list and scrolling over the knobs does nothing. In OS X this works smoothly. Is this something that just doesn't work in Windows at all or is this maybe an issue with the new Surface Pro 3 or with Windows 8.1?

I have also noticed that some files (so far just MP3s) that opened fine on my Mac in Traktor are reported as corrupt by Traktor under Windows.

Lastly, certain buttons can't be touch clicked on the Surface Pro screen. For instance, while I can touch the play button and reliably Play/Pause the track, it is very difficult to get either of the CUE or CUP buttons to respond. I assume this is more about the Traktor UI not being optimized for a touch screen but if anyone has been able to get this working smoothly it would be great to know how.

Thanks for all the help!
    ~ Weaver

Hi and thanks for sharing your view regarding Surface on the hardware forums.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Convert

It sounds as if Traktor has not yet been updated for total compatibility with operation in Windows 8.1. So some stuff will work but not others. I run Serato Itch on a Windows 8 Dell Inspiron laptop with touch-screen, and some features can be used with the touch-screen but others don't work, it's the same with Ableton Live 9. DJ and production software is just slow to catch up with Windows 8.1 I think! Hopefully Traktor and other software will be updated to work properly soon. Have you checked NI's website for information on compatibility with Win8.1?

Tech Wizard

I have the same issues with Windows 8 and a touchscreen - I think its just traktor lagging behind the feature set of windows. Once it becomes more touch-friendly it will be awesome though!

Interesting, thought of purchasing a surface pro 3 for traktor but this doesnt sound too good...

I just posted a new thread about my Surface Pro 3 setup. I use Serato so I didn't have any issues you described, but I did have to hack the software to run optimally in 64 bit.