DJM 850 vs. 900 Nexus
    Tech Convert

Default DJM 850 vs. 900 Nexus

Hey guys,

I was just looking for some clarification before I purchase a new mixer, as there are a few things I need to consider. My typical club setup lately has just been my x1's linked up to the club mixer, which in most cases is a djm 900 nexus and cdj 2000's. I've been making the switch over to just usb sticks and rekordbox for convenience when playing out, but will still sometimes use traktor when I'm playing a more complicated set.

I recently sold my s4 home set up and I am looking to purchase a mixer for home use. On the surface, an 850 seemed like the most bang for my buck as it is traktor certified and other than a few features I wasn't too concerned about, almost identical to the 900. I learned today however, the 850 is not compatible with rekordbox and I was wondering how that would effect me down the line. After the purchase of the mixer, I was planning on grabbing a pair of cdjs (900 nexus or 2000's) How will this effect me when using rekordbox? Can I link the cdjs and use rekordbox normally with an 850 mixer?

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons, and at first saving $500-800 on an 850 seemed like the best choice, but I'm not entirely sure now learning that the 850's are not rekordbox compatible

You sure can!! I use CDJ-900NXSes with a DJM-850. I love this mixer. The rekordbox integration on the DJM-900 is mainly the quantization of the beat effects, as well as fader start. I have the CDJs linked with an Ethernet cable, so all of the link features still work independent of the mixer. Additionally, on the 850 fader start is available for all four channels through the 1/8" mini jack. The 850 is a great value, and I recommend it! You're not missing out on much at all with an 850.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckgravy View Post
    You sure can!! I use CDJ-900NXSes with a DJM-850. I love this mixer. The rekordbox integration on the DJM-900 is mainly the quantization of the beat effects, as well as fader start. I have the CDJs linked with an Ethernet cable, so all of the link features still work independent of the mixer. Additionally, on the 850 fader start is available for all four channels through the 1/8" mini jack. The 850 is a great value, and I recommend it! You're not missing out on much at all with an 850.
    Awesome thanks for the clarification

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckgravy View Post
    The rekordbox integration on the DJM-900 is mainly the quantization of the beat effects
    I have owned both. The quantized beat effects are a huge plus, really makes the effects sound more 'tight'. 900 is worth the extra cost imho!