Pay to Play - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pay to Play

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DeanOakley View Post
    I don't suppose this was Aquila Nights at XOYO was it?

If it was, I had the exact same conversation with the guy. They wanted a £35 down payment which I'd get back if I brought X amount of people with me.

I told him where to go.

The funny thing is though, one of my friends on facebook has been bragging about getting a gig at the same event.
    Yes that was the guys about some club in Kilburn. Apparently they are so overwhelmed with DJs that this is the system that works best. But they seemed to be able to fit me in to any day I wanted...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    It's actually even worse when trying to get booked at "mid" level festivals in the U.S. I've been approached by at least 5 different festival where they offered me a gig. The deal would be I buy 10-20 tickets and then I get to play. Then I sell the tickets myself. Festivals that cost $200 or so a ticket and they want me to spend $2K just to play a 1 hour set.
    disgusting practice.
    This happens cause people buy into the idea. I am surprised this practice isn't breaking some sort of law but then again I assume no contracts are signed either. If an accident happened, I wonder how that would be dealt with.

Tech Wizard

In My area there are alot of do something similar but you dont buy the tickets. Basically they will give you 20 tickets or ticket codes if you can get 10 people or so to buy a ticket your on the bill if not no harm no foul. Is that a better practice in your eyes or at the end of the day are they really doing the same thing?

Tech Mentor

man, you'd think they'ed go for quality control.

this seems to say promoters don't care if the dj is any good or not.

They don't,
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

All they need is seats filled and drinks bought

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    They don't,
    Exactly.

Honestly for most local shows, it makes ZERO sense to hire an experience DJ. Why pay $300 or so for an amazng local if he can't bring 10 heads in.

You can book 6 brand new locals hit sync pack your club and take home all the cash.

If you're not shelling out huge money for a headliner it makes no sense to book anything other than free DJs from a money perspective.

Also what party will be more fun for the actual patrons?
    Harsh realities of the current DJ "scene"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    Exactly.

Honestly for most local shows, it makes ZERO sense to hire an experience DJ. Why pay $300 or so for an amazng local if he can't bring 10 heads in.

You can book 6 brand new locals hit sync pack your club and take home all the cash.

If you're not shelling out huge money for a headliner it makes no sense to book anything other than free DJs from a money perspective.

Also what party will be more fun for the actual patrons?
    Harsh realities of the current DJ "scene"
    Here I thought it was about the music this whole time. Not having quality control is a sign of a sell out.

then kids will DJ Pauly D is amazing I guess..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DeanOakley View Post
    I don't suppose this was Aquila Nights at XOYO was it?

If it was, I had the exact same conversation with the guy. They wanted a £35 down payment which I'd get back if I brought X amount of people with me.

I told him where to go.

The funny thing is though, one of my friends on facebook has been bragging about getting a gig at the same event.
    Haha i had an email from them also. Pay £35 deposit. Bring 10 people on guestlist at £4 per person.

The thing to remember....especially if you actually produce music, is that, every free gig you do, is time you could spend making actual music on your computer at home which will benefit you on the long run. The problem is, the scene is saturated with desperate wannabes accepting any free gig they can get so they can fulfil this mirage and call themself a DJ

Tech Wizard

What about all the DJ Contest that end up paying you nothing to play at their club or festival? is that the same general practice but with a spin on it? I Have been mixing for a while but always threw my own events now looking to expand and it seems like everything that comes my way is a contest they want me to enter or a ticket exchange.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast